Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

Just as the title says, I want to reset the BIOS password on my HP 6530b notebook because I forgot it. I have tried a CMOS reset.

Thanks in advance

70 REPLIES 70
HP Recommended
I think you can clear it when the HP logo shows up after you turn the computer on, hit the F10 key and there is an option there
HP Recommended
^^ If the customer does not remember what the BIOS password is then there is no way to remove it. It prompts for the password. The only thing I can tell you is to google how to hot flash(if thats even possible) or how to remove passwords. You can try to re-flash the bios with the same version as well. this *might* remove it. If the cmos trick failed then you are looking at 3rd party tools to remove it. Hp will remove it but its expensive.
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
HP Recommended

O.K. I had this problem and am a freelance technician. Many opions surround this notebook because it is a quality Buisness machine with advanced security built in. To resolve the administrator password reset on a machine the user must first reset the RTC by removing the AC power supply, then the laptop battery, finally remove the hard-drive and the watch type battery under the hard-drive. Second: wait for about 6 minutes. Next install the watch type battery and the hard-drive(screw the cover for the hard-drive back in place afterwards). Next do not put the laptop battery on, just plug in the AC adapter and power the machine on for a minute or so. You should see an error message advising the bios has recovered. Now  you can put the battery back on.

This is not all.

Next power the machine to boot into windows. If your drivers are in for the wireless or Lan card open internet explorer and navigate to HP.com and select suppport, select downloads and enter 6530b. it will take to to page to select the Operating system your using. Select  your Operating system and on the driver page you need download the fingerprint reader driver, HP ProtectTools Security Manager 4.10 and HP ProtectTools BIOS Configuration. Install the fingerprint driver (if needed) HP Protect Tools software and HP ProtectTools BIOS Configuration . After reboot run HP ProtectTools Security Manager For Administrators and choose Bios configuration. You will see at  the top a place for you to enter a password for the BIOS however BIOS will not give you this option alone so set your new BIOS Password  and when you restart the machine press F10 to get bios setup, enter your password and choose "User Management" delete the user under Protect tools User. select reset fingerprint reader and under TPM select "reset to factory defaults".

Now all security will be reset to you.

Good Luck!!  🙂

HP Recommended

thanks a lot..

thousands thanks to..uu

i love so much..

HP Recommended

Tnx a lot. It worked. I did everything as u described, and finally resetted the bios password. FYI. My notebook model is HP 6730B.

HP Recommended

I tried the steps mentioned above however it didn't work for me. I have HP 8440P laptop. Please advise the procedure to reset the BIOS administrator password.

Thanks

Arun

HP Recommended

Method 1 – Remove Battery

For desktop user, open up your computer casing and look for the battery. Remove the battery for approximately 5 minutes (maybe longer, depending on the motherboard) and slot it back. By removing the battery and deprive the motherboard’s flash memory of power supply, you are essentially resetting the settings back to default when the existing data in BIOS are cleared.

Method 2 – Reset CMOS With Software

PC CMOS Cleaner is the best CMOS password reset software, it works setting the BIOS to the default state or revealing the password.

Reset Or Remove BIOS Password For Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Asus And Apple Laptop

Reset Or Remove BIOS Password For Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Asus And Apple Laptop

PC CMOS Cleaner is an easy-to-use tool to recover, delete, decode and display the superior passwords stored in BIOS whatever the brand is. Most types of BIOS are supported. It’s an bootable CD that runs on x86 and x86_64 computers. No need to pay expensive fees to experts. It’s a useful tool for users to get their lost BIOS password back, or clean passwords from an old computer bought from others.

• Support all x86, x86_64 Personal Computers.
  • Display the superior passwords of the BIOS .
  • Remove BIOS password(will set the BIOS to default status, need reset date).
  • Set the BIOS to default state

HP Recommended

Hi,

When your HP laptop has problems in booting properly, you would have to reset the BIOS.

You would have to follow certain steps in order to reset BIOS.

First you would have to reboot your HP laptop.

Then until you see the set-up message on your laptop’s screen you would have to press the ‘F1′ button on your keyboard.

After that so as to select the factory settings option you would have to press 'F5' button.

Then press 'F10' so as to exit the set-up.

Get more help to fix reset BIOS password problem :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US306Sxt090&feature=related

http://supportforhp.iyogi.com/laptop-reset-bios.html

Hope this information helps you.

Hey guys.

Had a similar issue with 6930p. I tried everything to reset it, finally contacted HP, asked the techie to escalate to Level2 support. The guys their will ask for a Bootable file to be run that  copies all the BIOS info and you send it to them (will be a txt doc). They will then create a flash that will reset the password. This will take +-4days.

NOTE: it is specific to the laptop and CAN NOT be run on other laptops.

Regards

Tyzer

Channel Partner

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.