Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
DL380 G6
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

This may not be the area to post this and this is a solution to a problem so feel free to move this to a more enterprise area of the forums.  I had a HP Proliant DL380 G6 with a predictive hard drive failure.  I replaced the drive via the hot swap option:  CAUTION: DO NOT REPLACE A DRIVE WITH PREDICTIVE FAILURE WHILE SERVER IS OPERATIONAL.  You must shut down the server to replace drives with predicitve hard drive failures.  As a result of the hot swap, it corrupted one of my vhdx files (a 2010 Exchange Server).  The symptoms of the problem was I could no longer copy files from this RAID 5 volume to any location, the copy would consistently fail and as a result I could not backup the data.

SOLUTION:  Power off the server.  Replace the drive with predictive failure with a known good drive (preferrably NEW drive) and then power on the server.  The RAID rebuild should take place automatically.  Then, run a CHKDSK /R on the affected RAID volume to allow Windows to replace the bad blocks.  If all goes well, Windows should repair the drive and with any luck (as in my case) you will be able to recover your data and fire up your VM successfully.

The reason I am posting this is because it took me many hours of work and research to resolve this problem and I am trying to save someone else the trouble.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Thanks for your post.

HP split into two companies a couple of years ago and server support has been moved to the HP Enterprise (HPE) company.

I suggest if you want your post to be of help to your peers, that you post your solution on the HPE Community Support Forum -- DL servers section.

Unfortunately, I can't move your post from this forum to that one, as they are not connected.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/bd-p/itrc-264#.WNkNOeQ2y9I

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.