Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

My Laptop(G6-1118tx) is now showing an error on start up like SMART Hard Disk 301 Error. When i approached to my nearest service center they told me after doing hard disk test that it was "SMART Hard Disk Quick(303) Error". Can anybody tell me what is that error?Why did that error occured? and What is the possible solution?

Thanks,

Praja..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Praja,

For all practical purposes, it's extremely unlikely the HDD can be repaired - the Smart warnings you receive are usually a good indication that there is a physical problem with the drive.  Although there is software that can stop these errors from appearing, this is not really curing the problem but just hiding it - ie if the warnings are being generated because of bad blocks on the HDD, these blocks can be excluded from testing and so the drive may look like it has passed testing but in reality these bad blocks are still present, just ignored.

Once a HDD starts to fail, it will only get worse - how long that takes can vary enormously, but if you value your data I would always recommend replacing the HDD.

If your notebook is under warranty, HP should replace the HDD.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi Praja,

Both error codes would indicate that your Hard Drive is failing - there are many reason for a Smart error, one example would be that there are increasing blocks of the HDD that can not be written to or read from - whatever the actual reason for the smart warning, the solution boils down to replacing the Hard Drive.

As to why it occured, the average lifespan of a traditional HDD is between 3 - 5 years, but some fail much sooner while others may last far longer.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DavidPK,

Thanks alot for your reply.Is the Hard disk repairable if such error occured? Actually, when i approached to my nearest service center, they told me that such errors are small things and can be repaired. Can you please tell me whether it is true?

Thanks in advance,

Praja....

HP Recommended

Hi Praja,

For all practical purposes, it's extremely unlikely the HDD can be repaired - the Smart warnings you receive are usually a good indication that there is a physical problem with the drive.  Although there is software that can stop these errors from appearing, this is not really curing the problem but just hiding it - ie if the warnings are being generated because of bad blocks on the HDD, these blocks can be excluded from testing and so the drive may look like it has passed testing but in reality these bad blocks are still present, just ignored.

Once a HDD starts to fail, it will only get worse - how long that takes can vary enormously, but if you value your data I would always recommend replacing the HDD.

If your notebook is under warranty, HP should replace the HDD.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Hi DavidPK,
Will they(HP Service Center) replace the HDD if i tell them so? Actually i dont have much idea on this 😞 .

Thanks and Regards,
Praja..
HP Recommended

They will replace it if you are under warranty. A G6-1000 series is likely more than 1 year old so you may have to buy your own hard drive and replace it yourself. I agree 100% with everything said so far. There is no fix; you must replace.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have had the same error. I replaced the HDD but still got the same error. I then replaced the SATA cable between Mobo and disk. Still the same result (with both old and new disks).  

Any ideas where to go from here? Both disks pass chkdsk on another system.

Thanks

Pete 

HP Recommended

Same problem -  on HPE h8-1220 desktop, I added a new HDD and connected with existing SATA power cable, and used a new SATA data cable. I wanted to be able to pull information and diagnostics off the old disk, plus HP support wanted me to send in my desktop for 2 - 3 weeks to replace the HDD (under warranty).

But with the new drive (only one connected for factory reset and recovery process), I got an error during recovery about unable to switch to drive from the "X" drive.

On the diagnostics, everything passed but the SMART test -- that failed with a 303.

I booted into Ubuntu from a live CD and from an SSD.  When I had the original HDD, the new HDD, abd the SSD installed, gparted could see and perform operations on all three drives. I also performed a disk image copy on the old drive.  So, unix and the BIOS can see the disks, but Win7-64x cannot.

HP Recommended

Hi David and Huffer,

I own a HP Pavilion dv6-2190us Entertainment Notebook Entertainment series. I am having this SMART Hard Disk 301 Error, for quick and long tests. I am out of USA and warranty expired. If possible I would like to have from you a guide on replacing the Hard Drive by myself.

I will be travelling to USA next days and would like to buy this Hard disk, but still not sure about the specification.

Regards

Rafael

HP Recommended

@Rafaeu wrote:

Hi David and Huffer,

I own a HP Pavilion dv6-2190us Entertainment Notebook Entertainment series. I am having this SMART Hard Disk 301 Error, for quick and long tests. I am out of USA and warranty expired. If possible I would like to have from you a guide on replacing the Hard Drive by myself.

I will be travelling to USA next days and would like to buy this Hard disk, but still not sure about the specification.

Regards

Rafael

Hello!

I believe the Maintenance and Service Guide is what you're looking for.  Here is a link.

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.