Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

my parents sent me the HP Probook 4440s. I turned it on and it worked great. No problems at all, but the hard drive was very small. Only 59 gigs. So, I took the hard drive out of my old laptop (which still works. 300 gigs), and put it in the new laptop. When I turned it on this popped up.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

-----------------------------------

Version 1.6.0.0 -BIOS

then it gives me the option to perform a memory check, hard drive check, language, and exit. The memory test passes, but when I do the hard drive check (quick check and extensive check) it says SMART check and Short DSI not installed.

When I click exit it saus Boot device not found, please install operating system on hard disk.

Here's the kicker. I took the hard drive out, and put the new and small hard drive back in the new probook, and the same message comes up. I don't know why. I can't figure out what it could be. My stepfather has a good knowledge of computers, but unfortunately, over the phone he can not be of much help.

Someone save my new beautiful notebook!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The diagnostic program makes a small partition in the hard drive for it. When you removed it, so did that UEFI. You have to reinstall it as the only one available is the one stored on the BIOS.

Here is that and your updated BIOS.

This is for Windows 8.1 as you say its a brand new one, thats my logical guess.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5269090&sp...

UEFI: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5269090&sp...

I hope that helps. I used the base model for it, and it should work. if you have problems, send in the product number so we can cross check. However, there shouldnt be a problem.

JHS

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

When you took out the original hard drive what does it say on the label as far as the capacity? When your parents bought it what size hard drive was it supposed to have?

HP Recommended
I couldnt find where it says the capacity on the hard drive. I'm not tech savvy so I didn't understand hardly any of what is on the hard drive
HP Recommended
My laptop is doing the same thing except I didnt change the hard drive, did you find out how to fix it please let me know I really need to use my laptop 😞
HP Recommended

I am having the same issuee. New laptop HP 17t. From Costco. A monster. Comes with 1 TB HGSI (Hitachi) HDD which is very good quality. I am trying to replace it with an SSD.

I did the same with an earlier D7-4295us model, also with UFEI BIOS, and successfully. Trying again and it reports the SDD not installed/connected. I cloned it with proprtional partition adjusting. Miray software. It is foolproof. Verified. All partitions are there (including the recovery).
I created a set of recovery discs using recovery manager. All ended successfully.

I chatted with HP suport. A waste of time. At the end they emailed me I need to disable safe boot and enable Legacy support in the BIOS, in order to boot from recovery disc. I did. still show HDD was not found.

I swapped back the original HDD. All boots fine. I hook the SSD to a USB 3.0 port via a SATA to USB adapter. All partitions are there.  What the heck: ?

The HP tech support suggested that the recovery manager is looking for a 1 TB HDD. If it is less than that (which is the case) I may not be able to use the recovery. This is very dumb. Pls. excuse me.
Do you know a solution? Thanks.

HP Recommended

Does the new laptop by any chance have an mSSD drive installed? Can you provide the exaxct model number?

HP Recommended

No. it has a Hitachi 1 TB (HGSI) HDD installed. I am not a novice. I want to swap it for a SDD I have. There should be no problems.
I just chatted with HP chat support. They said there is nothing it can be done. This is a design limitation by HP.
System is capped. If you want an open system laptop then we can sell you other products 🙂
Fxxx 🙂

HP Recommended
HGST HTS541010A9E680. 1 TB HDD.
Thanks.
HP Recommended

dinub1

Could I get some additional information so we can assist you? If you could please post your product number for your computer. I am linking a document below that will show you how to find your product number.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please feel free to re-post once you have the needed information.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Its funny, but I have the same problems as everyone else here, and I too chatted with HP Support and after giving them my PC info they told me they could fix it remotely from where they were at for a fee of course.

They went on to tell me that I was supposed to be paying like 15 bucks a month for the use of my laptop, which I bought refurbished from Walmart prior to Fall Semester at Ohio University. One of those combo packs with HP Pavilion g6-2249wm Notebook PC, HP All-In-One Printer Deskjet 3522, 3 2GB USB Mem Stix, and a $50 canvas carry bag. Everything worked fine from August until a week ago. Now I can't do anything on it. I have tried every combination possible on the root menu and even reseated the HD on it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.