Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook -15f337wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Spoiler

Which SSD is compatible?

Product: HP 15 Notebook - (15f337wm )   .  This is a laptop.

I am planning to upgrade the hardware to SSD..... in my laptop.

I plan to buy a Samsung EVO 840 SSD drive.

SSD Type:

Which one is compatible in

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM

or

SAMSUNG 850 EVO mSATA 1TB Mini-SATA (mSATA) Internal SSD Single Unit Version MZ-M5E1T0BW

or

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" 1T SATA III Internal SSD 3-D 3D Vertical Solid State Drive MZ-75E1T0B with OEM SSD Protective Case

FormFactor:

Form factor: 2.5 or M.2 or mSATA .... which Form Factor is compatible with my laptop?

Volume / Capacity Max / Ceiling for this laptop: :generic:

Will this laptop accept a 2Tb SSD or should I stick with just 1Tb SSD?

Please let me know which form factor and which SSD and max-capcity-SSD is compatible.

By the way, I plan to remove the current HDD and replace it with the new SSD.

(not sure, if I could have both this current HDD and the new SSD. Obviously, I'll keep the OS in the new SSD for faster performance. Not sure, if I could still hold the other HDD in place for additional data sake . Please let me know if I could use the other HDD as is...without removing and use it for additional data sake....and simply use the CD section to plug in the 1TB / 2TB SSD )

- Thanks,

Mag-Tech

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You would want to get a SATA III, 2.5" SSD.    M.2 and mSATA are not available for your system.  

Basically any 2.5" SATA III SSD drive will work for you.  The only concern anyone ever has is whether or not you can fit a 9mm thick drive or if it has to be the thinner 7mm thick drive.     I can't find specs that state what is available to you internally to replace your current hard drive.

As far as adding a 2nd hard drive, the only way to do that would be to replace your optical drive as you mentioned.   This company makes caddy's for many laptops and i'm currently using one in my ProBook 450 G2 from them.   I would contact them and see if they have a model that will fit your laptop.    I'm not familiar with the HP 15 Notebooks, but they do have one for the HP Pavilion 15 (not sure it's the same).    Most optical drives are fairly similar so they would likely work, but unless they have one specifically noted as fitting your model, you'd take the small monetary risk by ordering and not knowing.

The capacity of the drive won't be of concern.  The largest drive i think you'll find is 2TB and the only concern with that is how thick it could be (9mm, for instance).    The Caddy I bought for my Optical drive bay fits my 9mm older 512gb SSD just fine.

Caddy company:

http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_5

Brian

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding.

It is not a Pavilion laptop.

It is a HP-15-f337wm to be accurate.

Thanks for letting me know about the 9mm vs 7mm

Now, before I purchase I have to ensure which one(9mm vs 7mm) would be compatible for this laptop... HP-15-f337wm model.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

One thing you could do is pull the hard drive that's in the computer currently out and see how thick it is.  And technically, at that point you'd be able to tell if there's more room for a slightly thicker drive (if the current drive is only 7mm).

Of if you know the model number of the drive you have currently, you could look up the detailed specs about it.

However,  even this 2TB Samsung drive says it's 7mm if you look at the specifications tab.   7mm Drives will ALWAYS fit... the question is whether or not you buy a drive that is 9.5mm if it'd fit.   

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147441

Brian

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.