Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15-ap007na 4K
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a docking station with a USB 3.0 port which supports BC 1.2 charging at 2.4A max.

The laptop manual gives a possible operating voltage and current of: 19.5 V dc @ 2.31 A – 45 W

Is the USB port suitable (and safe) to charge & power the laptop?

Thanks,

Colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, I am glad I paused because USB 3.0 (except for an increase in available current) doesn't add anything to BC 1.2, thus it is still 5V.

Colin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Some HP laptops will chage with a USB-C port which is a smaller oval port you see on the most recent cell phones. No HP laptop can charge or be powered through a rectangular USB 3.0/3.1 port. If you try to send power in through that port I would think you will fry the motherboard. 

HP Recommended

Sorry, my question wasn't clear.

My docking station USB 3.0 BC 1.2 port would be plugged directly into the laptop power socket.

I read several articles including: www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/5801

and I gleaned that it would be safe & practical to do so.

I ask because I don't want to take any unnecessary risk based on any misunderstanding of the material on my part.

Thanks,

Colin

HP Recommended

If it is plugged into the laptop with the right plug and the power output meets the correct voltage and amperage then there is no problem. The laptop does not know where the power comes from just that it is getting current that is within the specifications. Putting current into the laptop that is not the right voltage it might work for a while but will damage the screen or other components so the most important spec on the current is the voltage. 

HP Recommended

Okay, I am glad I paused because USB 3.0 (except for an increase in available current) doesn't add anything to BC 1.2, thus it is still 5V.

Colin

HP Recommended

Glad to have helped. Generally customary to mark the post that provided the information as the "Solution" to help others find it more easily. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply; however I did not even see your second post.

I am grateful to you for your replies but they did not help me.

My question related specifically to USB 3.0 in conjunction with BC 1.2 and with avalable current increased (above that specified by USB 3.0) to 2.4A

Colin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.