Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Has anyone finally found the solution to this problem? I struggled with this all day yesterday. Have had the "black screen, continuous loop, flashing LEDs" problem on my dv4 1313 dx for a couple of days now. I was able to boot after leaving the PC on overnight (as suggested above). Just did the built in HP diagnostics and everything reports back OK. Not sure what else (if anything) can be done to fix the problem.

Two nuances: I have an extremely weak battery, which the system is reporting to me prior to boot (when it does boot), and I haven't updated the BIOS (not intentionally anyway; not sure if this is automatic or not). Should I update the BIOS, and could a weak battery be causing this behavior?
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I have a HP pavilion dv4-1551dx. I had problems with the power plug where i had to keep reajusting in order to keep it charging. Now my computer won't turn on at all, it flashes the LEDs 4 times then a long pause (Repeats)

I thought it was the power plug so i ordered a DC jack online and looked up a guide on how to replace it, took me 3 hours to take it all apart and switch it. Now the power led on the side stays on, one problem fixed... but the LEDs still flash and the computer doesn't turn on!

Any advice? I've also done the steps above. no avail.

HP Recommended

Im having the same problem as well. I have a DV7 -1448dx.  The pattern seems to be blinking 1 time every 2 second. If anyone knows what the pattern means, that would very helpful.

HP Recommended

My dv4 blinked 4 times in succession, and I found the reason behind it, but no solutions yet. Here's the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336130 (Link Updated 04/26/2017)

Caps Lock/Num Lock LED  -  Component Tested  -  Error Condition
LEDs blink 1 time  -  CPU  -  CPU not functional
LEDs blink 2 times  -  BIOS  -  BIOS corruption failure
LEDs blink 3 times  -  Memory  -  Module error not functional
LEDs blink 4 times  -  Graphics  -  Graphics controller not functional
LEDs blink 5 times  -  System board  -  General system board failure
LEDs blink 6 times  -  BIOS  -  BIOS authentication failure

My battery was charging & my problem was graphic. It's a Vista & sleep mode problem, I think, not sure if it was hp or Windows, but so far in research I've only see it with hp. On second look there's also one with Compaq. It's Windows. And here's what hp tells you to do: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01732674&product=1132551#N16...

Some users had fixes by:

1. restarting computer
  2. take out all power supply (plug & battery), push power button for >10s, then put in power supply and start

both of the above didn't work for me, I'm trying:

1. switching memory sticks
  2. new battery or processor

or if really desperate, somebody oven-baked their motherboard & it worked, says YouTube has videos: http://getsatisfaction.com/hp/topics/hp_dv_7_caps_lock_and_num_lock_lights_constantly_blinking#reply...

I don't even know where (or what exactly) the motherboard is, so if someone finds any other fix, please let me know. Thanks!

P.S. Google is sometimes more helpful than a Support Forum. They actually direct to the right hp references. Searching on the actual site is sometimes futile. Funny how most companies' Customer Care seems to expect small glitches and not amateur (if not professional) references, but of course they can't tell you to bake your motherboard 😉

HP Recommended

ok so i have an HP Pavilion Dv4 and i have a problem. when i turn on the computer, it looks as if its turning on regular but then the computer screen doesnt turn on. In about 6-10 seconds, the Caps lock LED light and the Scroll LED light start blinking like once a second at the same time. The screen wont turn on and i dont know what to do.

PLEASE SHOW ME HOW TO REPAIR THIS !! I HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION ON THIS LAPTOP THAT I CAN NOT LOOSE!

HP Recommended

I revived my computer by adjusting the memory sticks (YES!!!), and then the rain got it. And yet it's still working as I type. Poor baby. :Surprise:

@chris061198

Try at least restarting it five times. How many times is it flashing before an obvious pause? Refer to the post above. I fixed mine by taking out the memory sticks and putting it back. They're located by the battery, a small square marked by a sign that looks like 2 squares. Make sure you're out of warranty before you open your laptop by yourself if you're not confident enough. Not that they'll know because this is a small scale operation, and the only thing you need to worry about is not loosing any screws. And of course don't break the memory sticks. If you've never done it before, search "laptop memory upgrade" on YouTube. Here's one done by a random guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-NM_cJXiWk&feature=related

if that's not clear, this one is by some company, but it only shows how to put it in and not take it out. It's sort of obvious once you open it up.

HP Recommended

forgot to enter that second video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirNejnzbEM

HP Recommended

same blinking pattern (both lights blink 4X approx a second apart, with a 2 second pause, then repeats) with or without battery

mine is a Pavilion dv4

p/n:  NS244AV

model:  DV4T-1400 

HP Recommended

hi! had the same exact problem... noisy fan for about 3 months.. then suddenly the battery wouldn't charge and then the blinking of the caps lock and scroll/num lock LED's started...  but then the noise stopped...

I am also using HP pavillon dv4 1200us (VISTA)... any chance you've solved the problem with your laptop? any advice? would really appreciate it... i really love this computer... its shiny and nice...  and we've gone through med school without any trouble... is she dying? is my computer dying?

I am not very good with computers so help please??? THANKS!

HP Recommended

is your issue resolved ??

i am facing the same problem and i too need my laptop urgently .

let me know abt the steps u have taken for the same as ur post is pretty old.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.