Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
My dv4-1120US had stopped working - I had opened it up (following the instructions in the manual) and put it back together after cleaning the inside (fan, etc.) with compressed air. After I put it back together and turned it on, the main LEDs came on - the fan turned on for a few secs - and nothing happens beyond that, although the scroll and cap light blinks - it blinks once every sec s three times, and then pauses for three secs and then repeats ....

I removed the power, removedthe batteries, reset the machine, and even removed the cmos battery and reinstalled it, and reseated the RAM - but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Why did I open my computer?:- My dv4-1120 US has been running hot / warm with a loud fan noise for a few mos, but recently it started turning itself off intermittently (no pattern). I wanted to clean the insides in case there was dust that was causing this issue. That's the reason why I opened the computer.

Appreciate your insight.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I didn't open mine up but it just did the same thing.  For the past few days I have had a battery warning, basically saying that I need to replace my battery.  I'm guessing my battery is completely dead and isn't able to power the display anymore?  Not sure really. My scroll lock and caps lock lights just blink every few seconds for eternity though...not in any sort of pattern.  Sure would be nice if someone from HP could help.

And by the way, my dv4 runs extremely hot.  It doesn't overheat often but the fans are forced to run so loudly that I can't even take it to class with me without it being annoying to others nearby.  When using it I always try to have the left rear side off an edge so that the fan has an open airway.

HP Recommended

With Dell computers, when they do the scroll and caps lock blinking, it means bad ram.

Try to use just one stick of ram in either slot. If it powers on, sweet; if not, try a different stick.

Please thank me if I helped solve your problem or gave you useful information!
Printer: HP LaserJet P2015
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

The overheating problem I had appears identical to yours. I (too) attempted many positions to keep the vents well ventilated. Inspite of that, the bottom of the laptop would get so hot that I was expecting the components to get fried. 

My fan was running loud as well - kinda as loud as the kitchen vent blower!  😉

The objective of opening the computer was just that, to see if there was some dust, etc that was obstructing the flow of air.There were many posts in the forum suggesting this.

HP Recommended

CheeseDanish - thanks for your response - I tried with one stick and that did not help. I do not have other memory sticks to replace them with to try ur secondoption

@ACheeseDanish wrote:

With Dell computers, when they do the scroll and caps lock blinking, it means bad ram.

Try to use just one stick of ram in either slot. If it powers on, sweet; if not, try a different stick.

HP Recommended

i think the cpu is not working if it is still in warranty call tech support.

HP Recommended

Not under warranty. Wish, there is a way in which I can determine that as the problem - i could then replace it with a new CPU

Thanks for the response.

Did not realize that HP tech support will not even respond to problems where the computer just stops working.

@densyo12 wrote:

i think the cpu is not working if it is still in warranty call tech support.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with mine just now and I am totally pissed off.  Mine was overheating for a week... I cleaned it without opening it and it was fine for 2 months.  I  noticed it running hot yesterday and shut it down... I turn it on today and same exact problem.  I know this was posted a few months ago but I am computer savy and will find out exactly what the caps lock and scroll lock timed blinking means...  I don't want to believe it but it may be the motherboard... if it was the CPU the fan would not turn on and off.  Unless HP is going to hog exactly what the blinking lights mean I should be able to locate the exact problem.  

HP Recommended

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

Good news for the person with the 3 blinks... it is the memory and if you have working RAM (and compatible!) you should be able to get it work... Bad news for me... mine does not stop blinking and they do not have LED error code description for me.  Which tells me I'm completly screwed if the LED error code does not function correctly...

HP Recommended

@gaber821 wrote:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

Good news for the person with the 3 blinks... it is the memory and if you have working RAM (and compatible!) you should be able to get it work... Bad news for me... mine does not stop blinking and they do not have LED error code description for me.  Which tells me I'm completly screwed if the LED error code does not function correctly...

I am having the same problem. One post said that the error code may repeat "until the problem is resolved". For a bad CPU, that means a single blink code that is repeated indefinitely. This makes sense, because some people with this problem have indicated some form of CPU overheating before this occurred. I'm guessing that the overheat protection is not working as well as it should. Fortunately, a replacement CPU is fairly inexpensive, but it would be good to know for sure what the issue is. Maybe I'll pull the CPU and see if booting with no CPU gives the same response.

Also, I suggest removing all add-on boards and peripherals first. I once had a bad CD-ROM that affected the power on the whole system, and acted like a bad motherboard.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.