Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

What is this error and what do I do.  I have backup  about a month old on DVD

HP Recommended

Hello huelcalvin,

I see that you are having a problem with your HP computer.

The 301 error message is a hard drive failure message. It indicates the hard drive is failing or has failed. Hard drive replacement will be necessary.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

my hp note book is

hard disk 301 error how to set this proplam?

HP Recommended

Have an HP G4 Pavillion.  Bought it last Dec 2012, barely 7 months being used and it's giving me a Smart Hard Disk 301 error already?

Have not even been using it a lot the past 7 months and most of my files are in the cloud.  Still looking for my receipt for the Warranty but am starting to regret choosing HP.  

Just 2 months ago, I upgraded to Win 8 but found out that the bluetooth driver was not compatible and NONE of the workarounds worked and so I gave up and reverted to win 7.  

Waste of money and now my time coz I need to bring this 7 months barely used laptop to the service center.  

HP Recommended

Hello i-am-rotk.

Unfortunately, due to being mechanical devices, hard drives will sometimes die when you'd least expect it.  I've personally experienced everything from a hard drive that was dead on arrival to one that last over a decade.  However, your notebook should still be in warranty and I doubt you'll need the receipt for your warranty to be honored.  

Contact HP Support directly and have the notebook repaired.  The number is 1-800-474-6836 if you're in the US/Canada.  If you're in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's information.  

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended
Got my Laptop warrantied @ the HP Makati Office. The service was extremely awesome! The support employee was very nice (and pretty), they called me everyday to update me with what's going on, they replaced the hard drive and delivered my laptop to my house in less than 3 days. Thank you HP Makati! - Happy customer 🙂
HP Recommended
Hi. I live in Nigeria. Bought a HP pavillion g6 windows 8 exactly 2 months ago. Recently when I turn it on, it shows hard drive error. I already did the hard drive test and it was successful but it still cannot come up. Am very worried cos the laptop is new
HP Recommended

Hello Berylite.

Have you tried hard resetting the notebook?  Try the following.

1. Ensure the notebook is powered off.
  2. Remove the battery and AC power.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds three times.
  4. Replace the battery and AC power.
  5. Attempt to boot the notebook.

You mentioned that the notebook is still fairly new.  You should contact HP Support and let them know about the problem.  The number for US/Canadian customers is 1-800-474-6836.  If you're in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

HP is a shame and i never will buy a hp again.

Last here i buy a dv6-Notebook.

Then my LCD has dead pixels.

They fixed it withoout garanty it cost me €200,-

A couple of months later my van cooler stops working.

I bring it back to the shop, they put a new one inside for €100,-

My keyboard was broken, the buttons of my keyboard fell spontaneously
So I substitute it by the dealer it cost me €70,-

Today the hard drive gives me the error: Harddisk 1 (301) It means my hard disk is dead

I've never had such a bad notebook.

In my famly we have 2 Toshiba notebooks.

We've never had a problem with the Toshiba's

Therefore, I believe that HP should be ashamed of the pavilion dv6
I would like to hear what you have to reply on this serious problem.

Sorry for my bad English I'm living in Belgium

Greets Danny Fehrenbach

HP Recommended

i have a problem with my hardrive failure in 301 what should i do?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.