Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I removed the SkypeApp as suggested and it does seem to be helping.

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

I also got a really hot, in a bad way, HP Spectre.

I was doing something completely different and needed to enabe Intel VT-X(hardware acceleration) in BIOS settings.

It seems that it immensly helps the overheating issues and keeps the laptop working at normal temperatures. I am back from 80 to 50 degrees Celcius with Skype on, even less when it's off.

Hope it helps,

Rosen

HP Recommended

Le2, it's good to hear you have found a solution that works for you.  However, uninstalling an application that shouldn't be that taxing on a modern PC just to keep the temperature usable should not be necessary.  So far with the Spectre x360, I have had yellow bright spots in the corners of my display, keyboard not keeping up with double key strokes (e.g. "letter" becomes "leter"), screen hinge is becoming loose along with the the underside getting very hot.  All in all a premium cost laptop that is very much a non-premium experience. The laptop has been in for repair twice and has all latest BIOS updates - no improvement.   My last HP laptop.

HP Recommended

I Just bought a Spectre X360 and after being on a very short time it gets really hot. I'm worried. do I need to take it back?

HP Recommended

Same here - getting so hot at the bottom that I might have to return it...

I will try that Skype-thing, but cannot believe that could be the reason... I noticed the Windows defender consuming CPU constantly. But still - if I buy a PC, I will use it, and so it will turn hot no matter what I do... 

HP Recommended

Yes, take it back. It's a fire hazzard

HP Recommended

I use bought the Specrtre X360 and already regret the purchase! I used it for about 20 minutes and it became extremely lay hot and locked up, it's brand new!

You have any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Me help enable Intel VT in BIOS, but still in charging mode is too hot 😕

HP Recommended

Ray29, it seems that latest bios (F35) fixes the double keystrokes issue (at least fix for this is listed in notes), but, unfortunately, does not help with overheating.

I have the same problem. It is almost unusable on the lap. And under the load it heats up to 80C (according to core temp).

Also, it hangs sometimes on bootup. Mouse is working, but does not respond to clicks and keyboard. But this is another issue, because on bootup it does not heat up yet (it hangs on 37C).

I have tried to install CoolSense, but it seems to do something only when in tablet mode. But on the desk - let it burn. It is a shame that they removed any options to set it up. I don't mind about som

It is a shame that they removed any options to set it up. I don't mind about extra noise and fan kicking in earlier than it does now. 

I have tried to set "fan always on" in bios, but it runs fan at lowest speed so there is almost no airflow from the vents.

Most likely this is a bios issue - it seems to ignore quite high temperatures and start fen too late. 

Or maybe it is the heatsink problem. I have read that changing the heatsink helps some people. But this is my work machine, and I have given away my previous notebook, so I can't risk it.

Unfortunately, I can't return it. In Soviet Russia, laptop can return you. 🙂 So I have to live with it and hope that HP fixes this one day with the bios update. 

HP Recommended

Here's the post for my solution to my Spectre x360 heat issues:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/My-Spectre-x360-Cooling-Solutio...

You could just get the vacuum cooler if you don't want to build the pad. Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.