Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info macboat, that really sux...I just ordered this yesterday. I was going to upgrade to 8gb. How does it run with 4gb? I'll probably return it without even opening it.. what a bummer..

If anyone from HP reads this can they please verify if upgrading memory on any Split X2 computer from  Bestbuy is possible or not?

Thanks again macboat, if possible it would be good to get an "official" reply from HP, I have read on other reviews, it is possible to upgrade the memory in that model of Split-X2 hybrid..

Thanks all..

HP Recommended

Can someone also verify whether or not it's possible to install the HDD into the Best Buy version? I can't tell if anyone has successfully done that on this forum and when I called tech support (because as of now, the screen is not turning on at all) they told it was not possble to even add an HDD. I also heard a staff member at Best Buy say that it was not possible but thought they might be mistaken since the HP site lists it as an option on the G100. Perhaps they make the Best Buy version completely uncustomizable? It's such a shame to put in a nice 4th Gen i5 processor and leave no possibility for at least 8GB RAM and an HDD. Will there be such a model any time in the future??

HP Recommended

Regarding the option to add a hard drive, it is possible to do so on the Best Buy model 13-g110dx, according to the manual (see the link from my previous post).  However, there is a potential caveat.

First, I'm assuming the Hard Drive Hardware Kit, spare part number 736884-001, must be used, again according to the manual.  This provides the following parts: The hard drive bracket, hard drive connector cable, and screws.

This is for the 500-GB, 5400-rpm, SATA, 5.0-mm hard drive, part number, 737957-005, from HP.  BE ADVISED: THE Z-HEIGHT FOR THS HDD IS 5MM.  I assume once more that since the HP HDD is 5mm, any HDD (or SSD for that matter)that is installed must therfore be 5mm.

This is where it gets interesting.  Based upon my research, there are only two 500GB, 5400rpm, 5mm hard drives on the market:  The WD Blue UltraSlim 500GB (model WD5000MPCK); and the Seagate 5mm 500GB Laptop Ultrathin HDD (model ST500LT032).  Both are 2.5" drives.  What's concerning is this:  Whereas the Seagate drive uses a traditional, standard full-size SATA connector, the Western Digital drive uses a smaller SFF-8784 "edge" connector.  The question in  my mind is, which connector does HP supply in its Hard Drive Hardware Kit?

Again based upon my research, I believe the answerto be the edge connector.  The picture of the Hard Drive Hardware Kit in the manual seems to point to that conclusion.  I will confirm this in a call to HP tomorrow and will report back here.  For reference, here is information about each drive:

Seagate - http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_5mm_500gb_laptop_ultrathin_hdd_review

WD - http://www.storagereview.com/wd_blue_ultraslim_500gb_review_wd5000mpck

If my hunch is correct, and I underscore this has not yet been confirmed, then the only HDD OR SSD that may fit in the Best Buy model is the  WD Blue 500 GB 5mm hard drive.  And good luck finding it.  I've looked everywhere on the Internet.  Not only is HP out of stock, everyone else is, too.  It's been on the market, at least to OEMs, for over six months.  The retail list price is supposed to be $90.  Please let me know if you find it elsewhere.  HP does have the mounting kit, though.

I'll update my findings tomorrow.

HP Recommended

Here's a picture of the Hard Drive Hardware Kit for the HP Split x2 from Best Buy model 13-g110dx, spare part number

736884-001:

Hard Drive Hardware Kit.png

Notice the cable connector (1).  It does not appear to be a standard, full-size SATA connector.  I'll provide an update tomorrow.

HP Recommended
Thanks for all the info macboat.. FYI.. the picture does not show up in the thread...
HP Recommended

Forget it.. browser blocked it..  I got it now.. thanks..

HP Recommended

hp puts an i5 and windows 8 64bit and i am not able to upgrade to 8g of ram?????Upgrading is only reason i bought this model for my wife, for 850 they should be ashamed.. I'll be taking this pos back to best buy pronto.  Hello new Asus

HP Recommended

That is probably what I will be doing or maybe exchange it for the i3 model, that one is expandable to 8gb ram..

What Asus machine would you be getting?

HP Recommended

asus t100 until i found out ram is maxed at 4g.   My wife loves the split to tablet but needs some power as well.  I got the hp with the i5 on a black friday deal for 650 if i exchange it for the i3 that is upgradable its 700(was 499 black friday).  So I got ripped off 200 bucks because best buys website stated the hp split x 2 13-g110dx was upgradable to 8 g of memory.  I would keep the one i bought but the thing has froze up about 7 times in 4 days with just a  couple apps opened at once.

HP Recommended

Update on Split x2 from Best Buy model 13-g110dx HDD upgrade

I spoke with several folks from HP, both technical support and parts store personnel.  No one could definitively say what the actual manufacturer's model number was for the HDD, part number 737957-005.  However, the parts store rep told me the drive was made by Western Digital.

If this is the case, then the hard drive must be the WD Blue UltraSlim 500GB, model WD5000MPCK.  This is the only 5mm, 2.5" laptop HDD made by Western Digital.  This is unfortunate because it is the only 2.5" laptop HDD in the world that currently uses the small form factor SFF-8784 edge card connector.

I will try to contact someone at Western Digital to determine how this hard drive might be sourced.  The HP parts rep did not know if/when this HDD would be available to them.

As it stands now, the Split x2 from Best Buy model 13-g110dx effectively cannot have an internal hard drive added to it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.