Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Last update on Split x2 from Best Buy model 13-g110dx HDD upgrade

Just spoke to Western Digital.  They do not have the WD Blue UltraSlim 500GB, model WD5000MPCK.  Their online store does not have it nor does their tech support, who inventories components in case of failure.  Although you can find many articles and images, even videos, for this product, it's as if it never existed.

I've spent quite a bit of time researching this.  I feel like I'm at the end of the search.  I will occasionally check back but I'm pretty much done now. If I learn anything new, I'll post it.

In summary, the Split x2 from Best Buy model 13-g110dx cannot have its memory upgraded and, at this moment and as far as I can tell, cannot have an internal hard drive installed.

Thanks,

Mac

HP Recommended
Thanks macboat for your efforts. So you have the 13-g110dx model right?? In your opinion how does it perform? Is 4gb ram enough to keep a few apps running at the same time?
HP Recommended
I got this on BF for 650 also. I just might exchange it for the i3 version too. Not sure yet, might just get my $$ back instead
HP Recommended

Apparently Worst Buy has a special model compared to the normal Split X2. I bought the custom Split x2 from the HP website with the Core-i5 and 8gm ram and no HDD in the base. I've since ordered the HDD mounting kit and a 9.5MM HDD (WD Black, 750GB 7200 RPM) and installed it just fine.
Kevin

HP Recommended

Yes, I have it (my son and I share it) and it is fast enough to run multiple apps simultaneously.  I've only had it a few days but it is performing very well except for one issue (see below).  I would not say that I've taxed it, however.  I've had various MS Office apps open along with a browser and itunes and haven't had a problem.

The only issue I've run into so far is the touchpad and touchscreen not working properly.  Either one or both will stop functioning for no apparent reason.  My temporary fix is to put it to sleep by short-pressing the power button once, waiting a few seconds, then waking it back up.  I'm still working on resolving that one.  It seems to be impacting more than just a few folks.

HP Recommended

the internal hard drive is upgradable with a sdd. Crucial makes one that has the edge connector up to 480g.  I already ordered a 240g part#ct5033514 for 189.00.  

HP Recommended

That's great new regarding the Crucial SSD drive.  I saw on Crucial's website that the model number you listed was compatible with the Split x2 from Best Buy model 13-g110dx.  I understand some SSDs use edge card connectors.  I have not yet found where it states it uses the SFF 8784 connector but I will keep looking.

HP Recommended
@hooraybeer.. Did you exchange it for the i3 model?
Or did you keep the i5 w/4gb of ram that you cannot expand?
HP Recommended

I didnt, my wife has it at work right now.  If i exchange it i'll end you paying 700 for it, and saturday it was 500.  So I will keep the one i have and put a ssd in it.  What gets me is best buy had on thier website that both models were expandable to 8gb of ram. So i spent the extra 150 for the i5 that i cant upgrade 8g of ram.  

HP Recommended

Regarding using the Crucial SSD, model numbers CT5033514 or  CT4870281, to use as an optional, additional storage drive in the  Split x2 from Best Buy model 13-g110dx HDD

This SSD cannot be used as the additional, optional drive that is supposed to be installed in the keyboard base and uses the Hard Drive Hardware Kit mentioned previously.  The  Crucial SSD, model numbers CT5033514 or  CT4870281, are replacements for the existing 128GB SSD that comes already installed in the computer.

I just spoke with Crucial tech support.  The Crucial models noted above are mSATA drives that do not use the correct connector.  They also have no case.  Here is a pic of the Crucial SSD in question:

Crucial SSD.JPG

The Crucial tech support rep said the drive looks exactly like the picture and that it should be installed in the tablet portion of the computer, not the keyboard base, as an upgrade replacement for the existing 128GB SSD that came with the computer.

Please let me know if there are questions or clarification needed.

Thanks,

Mac

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.