Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Good Evening,

I have a Compaq Presario CQ62  laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. I am having problems with the Synaptics  PS/2 Touchpad.

Sometimes it works and most times it freezes and will not do anything. I have checked the HP website for a driver update but states I have the lastest driver. Also, checked the device manager and it states the device is working properly. Could you please tell me what I could check now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

dont know whether a bios update for this notebook did something about the touchpad, but it is almost always a good idea to have the most recent bios version installed on notebooks.

depending on the cpu/chipset your notebook has, the most recent bios versions are:

intel - F.37

amd - F.29

the software/driver versions on your notebook's hp support page arent necessarily the most recent ones (except for the bios); the most recent synaptics touchpad version is this one - 16.0.1.0: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56713.exe

before installing it first completely uninstall the current version you have installed

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

dont know whether a bios update for this notebook did something about the touchpad, but it is almost always a good idea to have the most recent bios version installed on notebooks.

depending on the cpu/chipset your notebook has, the most recent bios versions are:

intel - F.37

amd - F.29

the software/driver versions on your notebook's hp support page arent necessarily the most recent ones (except for the bios); the most recent synaptics touchpad version is this one - 16.0.1.0: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56713.exe

before installing it first completely uninstall the current version you have installed

HP Recommended

I would also suggest you to perform the steps in the following weblink that helps you to resolve this problem and also improve the system performance:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00816938

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended
Thanks I have to restart computer butyour driver version was 2012 and the one hp assist was 2011 which was the current driver. I will check the BIOS the one on there now is 2006. This is Intel
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. I checked the bios, installed the new driver and still have the problem. It seems like there is a pause at times causing the touchpad to temporarily freeze. It doesn't happen with a mouse.

HP Recommended

so youre using the most recent bios version?

then i would guess its a hardware issue.. theres not much to do about that unfortunately.

you could try checking the mouse rate consistency (http://www.filefront.com/17191014/MarkC_Windows7_MouseFix.zip). just move the cursor using the touchpad around while the program is open and look at the data. there shouldnt be any huge spikes. latency should be around 128hz.

if there are huge drops, theres obviously something either with the cpu-touchpad relationship (or even something like pci latency, if applicable), or the touchpad itself.

the first one would be quite difficult to analyze, the second is easily confirmed if the touchpad works well when replacing it (the whole keyboard) with another one.

since i assume you dont have any warranty on this notebook anymore, this would cost you something, but from my experience keyboards arent that expensive, even if bought directly from hp.

HP Recommended

hi,

i have HP Pavilion dv6-2138ca Entertainment Notebook PC and windows 7. my mouse"s scroll is not working. In device manager I have ps/2 compatible mouse, when i try to install synaptics recommended version 14.0.0.3 A  it says installation status failed due to error. I had synaptics version 14.0.0.3 so when i came to update that  it said out of dated so i uninstalled it from programs, then I just saw in device manager  ps/2 compatible mouse instead of synaptics, when i updated ps/2 compatible mouse it says this is up to date but  scroll is not functioning. May i uninstall ps/2 compatible mouse and if incase i uninstalled it then how many chances are there for me  to install synaptics recommended versio 14.0.0.3. or is this possible uninstalling ps/2 compatible mouse will not create any problems like mouse is not working etc.

Simply, i want toa ask you that can i uninstall ps/2 compatible mouse and install synaptics for making scroll works . tTanks

HP Recommended

I have a hp G62-340us notebook. Running Windows 7

I installed the latest drivers/software from Hp to get my mouse working but that did not do the trick.

Then I  did the Windows update and my mouse worked fine. I turned off my laptop and now its not working.

First I want to know if anyone knows....

Where is the software located?

Is this device located in the service.exe file? Will it allow me to enable it there?

Should I uninstall it then do another Windows update, or go to the Manunfacture(Synaptics) of the mouse and get it there?

It seems like I have done everything to get the updated driver/software but it won't stay on.

The system has also been recovered recently too so I don't have a restore point.

Why does the software disappear and I can't find it anywhere?

Thanks for the help

HP Recommended

Hello Bikin,

In order for me to better assist you could you please provide the full make and model of the PC you have.  Providing me that information will better help me help you.

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.