Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion G7 2252so
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Sins my computer was new i have problem with that my fan working like a beast on this computer and everytime i install something suddenly i get black screen and ALL power go of, the laptop die.. When i start it i get the message that he was overheated and error code 90D. Is it any fix or way to get away from this problem??? I have send it away one time on warranty but still very big problems with this and now i dont have any warranty left. Yesterday i buid a new harddisk and a laptop cooler to place it on but dont help.. I had bios F.29 in it but when i updated it yesterday i get F.26 automatic. I also installed Hp Coolsense but dont help that either. I have tried 3 different os now from windows, win 7, 8 and 10. Still the same problem..

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi there @Punx8

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. Just to clarify, are you certain it is a 90D, or is it a 90B error? I can certainly understand your frustration if this has been happening all along.

Here is some general heat related information, that could help. It is likely you have already tried most if not all of this, but it is worth putting it here, in case something has been missed.
HP Notebook PCs - Reducing heat inside the PC to prevent overheating
HP Notebook PCs - Why Computers Generate Heat

HP Notebook PCs - System Fan (90b) error message on startup

Also, here is the HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide if you need it. It can help, if any dissassembly is required. Was the fan ever replaced, that you know of?

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello Malygris1 and thanks for you answer.

Yes i have tried everything concerning cleaning and cooling tips i have read so fare, concering the fan i "think" the change it on the warranty service and the computer get better, before that the computer die automatic after 10 min even when i didnt work with it, now its only when he need to work little harder, like with an installation or something like that. For me it feels like a software problem, if i could i should put this overheting function off because i dont feel the computer so hot. But maybe i need to change motherboard? Do you think that will help or will i be stucked with same problems? The hardware tests says no errors on anything...

HP Recommended

Hello did you solve your 90D issue?

I have the same problem here, HP Pavillion 14 v140la is says it is overheating 90D, but it is really cold. Updated Bios and formated everything but keeps failing from time to time.

Could it be hardware problem? my warranty is expired.

HP Recommended

Issue continues in 2017. My idea today is machine only "thinks" its hot, because, its not hot. Which makes me think software. Good ol' Windows. Task manager shows its running some updater service and other threads talk about this service taxing the cpu. If I boot from live Linux stick it still shuts down. So its not Windows...

HP Recommended
I would replace the heat sink for that 90D error code.

The heat sink may look good but the tubes that move the heat from the processor to the fins may not be working properly.

Where I work we have fixed dozens of machines with that error code by replacing the heat sink.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

@SHThompson

You Sir are correct! Replaced heat sink and seems working fine. Thank you!

The machine seems to run hot in general - 55C or so according to coretemp. Is that within some normal range?

HP Recommended
I do not believe HP publishes a temperature range, but the processor manufacturer might.

If the fan runs constantly at a high speed I worry about the temperature but if the fan is behaving normally then I say we're OK.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.