10-05-2009 10:45 PM - edited 10-05-2009 10:51 PM
This is a guide for the HP Pavilion DV4 Series of notebooks.
The expansion bay is an HP MultiBay, which means you can use it for multiple purposes:
- Hard Drive
- Optical Drive (CD/DVD/BluRay)
- Nothing (Dummy Slot Cover)
If you'd like to install a second hard drive, you'll need to order the Multibay Hard Disk Drive Hardware Kit. You can purchase it here from HP for $74.10 USD. You might also check partsurfer.hp.com using the Product Number (PN) from the tag beneath your notebook in the event that there's a different part available/needed. The kit does not include a hard drive, so you'll need to purchase it seperately. You'll need a standard 2.5 inch SATA hard drive of your liking. (here)
Notes about using a hard drive in the HP MultiBay:
- Hot Plug and Play (Needs to be safely ejected through Windows)
- HP ProtectSmart also works with the MultiBay.
The HP MultiBay Weight Saver ships with most of the DV4 notebooks, and can be used in place of a drive to reduce the weight of the notebook. If you've lost yours, you can order a replacement through the HP Parts Store. You can order the standard cover here, or if you need a color-matched cover (bronze, onyx, etc) then you'll need to search using partsurfer.hp.com.
This guide is meant as supplemental material and is provided without guarantee...please check product specifications and partsurfer for feature/part availability. Will be updated as necessary.
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps
- Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset
- HP PCs - Improving Slow System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10)
- HP PCs – Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 8)