Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
I downloaded the 3-in-1 tool. It said for IT and professionals or self-maintainers. I took that to mean do-it-yourselfers. Now the program asks for a CSO number. Can someone provide this for a do-it-yourselfer? The regular UEFI for my laptop does not have the individual component tests that I need for the motherboard and the GPU memory. I don't think HP means to keep this Diagnostics out of my reach.
20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hello@MBrettH,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that you need assistance in using the diagnostics tool. I will definitely help you.

Are you referring to using a third party diagnostics tool to test the motherboard and GPU?

The only reason you will not be able to test the motherboard and GPU is because it is not possible to determine the issue correctly on those components only using the diagnostics.

Note: HP doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Hope that answers your question. Let me know for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

"Are you referring to using a third party diagnostics tool to test the motherboard and GPU?"

No.  I am talking about the HP UEFI diagnostics.  The desktop diagnostics contain a number of tests that are not available for some reason on my version.  Specifically, the HP UEFI page shows targeted tests specifically for the motherboard and for the graphics card/graphics memory.

My hardware has passed every test I have been able to throw at it, but I still cannot boot into Windows.  Of course, the only components that I have not found 3rd party tests for are the AMD Radeon card and it's discreet memory--or a 3rd-party test for the motherboard.  Test for the GPU/memory and the motherboard exist, but I cannot find non-windows versions.  HP has them available that I can boot from USB just like I need, but not for my specific machine version.

Thus, the 3-in-1 diagnostic tool that HP offers is my best hope.  But I need the key in order to use it.  I have no remaining warranty to void, so that is not a worry.  In fact, I am faced with possibly buying a new motherboard.  I just cannot justify that until I am able to run a diagnostic on those components to make sure that that money actually does need to be spent.

"The only reason you will not be able to test the motherboard and GPU is because it is not possible to determine the issue correctly on those components only using the diagnostics."

This is an odd statement.  ANY diagnostic test is better than no test at all.  The tests do exist, and I really need to get access to them.

"HP doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product."

Hahahahaha.  I don't recomment replacing the sorry low-end HDs that came with my computer with anything other than SSDs, and I challenge anybody to try to convince me otherwise.  😛

HP Recommended

Hey@MBrettH,

Thanks for the response.

If all the tests have passed on the diagnostics, then you will need to reinstall the operating PC to fix the issue.

If you have seen the test results, then the display is fine and if the tests completed successfully, then the Motherboard is fine as the UEFI is a BIOS based diagnostics tool.

Hope this helps. Please share for more assistance.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
"will need to reinstall the operating PC to fix the issue."

You missed the part where I said I cannot boot into Windows. A Bootable XP CD even gives the same BSOD error that I get with the Win7 media. I am able to boot into DOS or Linux, but have been unable to a diagnostic tool targeting the MOBO or GPU that I can make Bootable outside Windows.

Which is why I am trying to find out why HP cannot allow me access to the 3-in-1 tool:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_...

This download is at the bottom of the page, and says "intended for use by HP Authorized Service Personnel and Self Maintainers." Am I not a self-maintainer?

As an HP employee, could you please look into how I can gain access to this tool--or at least stand-alone versions of the MOBO and GPU/GPU memory tests that are a part of most UEFI versions? I don't know why my particular machine has a UEFI environment without these specific targeted diagnostic tools. All my UEFI offers is short/long DST, memory, battery, and hard drive tests.
HP Recommended
Oh, and thank you for taking your time with me.
HP Recommended

Hey@MBrettH,

Thanks for the response.

You are welcome and I am glad to help you with your query on your HP product.

You can reach HP Support Forums any time in the future for any assistance required.

Hope this helps. Please share for more assistance.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
... but you didn't answer my question... There's another post above that one.
HP Recommended

Hey@MBrettH,

Thanks for the response.

You will not be able to use the diagnostics form the link as the tool you mentioned is encrypted to HP authorized users only.

You can use the regular diagnostics that is provided with the PC.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Then what, pray tell, is a self-maintainer, if it doesn't mean do-it-yourselfer? You really are not very good at answering questions.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.