Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8570p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I encounter messages that my USB 3.0 USB device would perform faster if connected to a USB 3.0 port. The ports on the right side of the 8570p notebook are supposed to be SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports! Why is the proper driver for this series of notebooks so hard to find? Help, please.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Here is the driver page:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5212848&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4060

Specific USB 3.0 driver for Windows 7 64 bit:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5212848&swItemId=ob_135422_1&swEnvOid=406...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I had already installed that driver (sp66487) and encountered  error messages that my USB 3.0 devices would run faster if connected to a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed port. That's why I made this post.

That said, I tried reinstalling it again, after being prompted to overwrite the existing files in the install folder in the root directory.  I received this error message:   "The setup program failed to install one or more device drivers. Setup will exit."

I then received a prompt that suggested I try to reinstall again. This time I received the error message "This operating system is not supported."

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit is installed on this 8570p. The processor is an Intel Core  i7-3520M @ 2.9GHz with 16GB of RAM.

There are two items listed in the Device Manager's USB Serial Bus copntrollers window, neither of which seem to me to be appropriate for my system use:  "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)" and "Unknown Device." There are two entries for the C216 chip set.

What should I try next and in what sequence?

Dennis...

HP Recommended

Have you installed the Intel chipset drivers? They are a prerequisite to the USB 3. Also I would install the UEFI diagnostics and run a nardware diagnostic on the USB ports. 

HP Recommended

I downloaded sp59259 (Intel chipset) and ran setup and then rebooted. I then downloaded sp66487 (USB 3.0) and ran setup again. I received the message that it was not supported on this operating system.

During these procedures, I encountered messages that I was either installing older drivers than those aleady installed and/or that I was overwriting the already-installed driver from a previous installation attempt. I still receive the "This device can perform faster" message.

I have not run the diagonostic suggested because 1) the ports worked before the SSD apparently failed, and 2)   I'm not sure where to get the software and what to do with it. I doubt that the port hardware is defective; the USB drives mount but presumably as USB 2.0 devices.

I might also add that I used a set of two discs that I purchased from HP to reinstall the OS. One was for the OS itself and the other for the drivers presumably selected for this notebook and serial number.

This is very frustratiing. It seems to me that there ought to be a set of step-by-step instructions identifying the driver packages by "sp" number, their function and the order in which to install them. I'm tiring of downloading various driver installation packages and hoping that I'll get lucky. I thought the re-installation discs I bought would have done this seamlessly. (I realize that there are too many variations in hardware and features to make such a document for each

one, but .... )

Dennis....

HP Recommended

That is just it. The install should be seamless and if you load from the HP disk and the drivers you should have USB 3.0 performance. The order is almost irrelevant other than chipset should be first. If it is more complex than that, something is not right. 

HP Recommended

Are you suggeting that I re-install the OS and drivers using that same set of HP-furnished discs, just to get the same results?

I'm reluctant to experiment with doing that, because I'd then have to re-install all of the applications and their settingis. That alone takes three or four hours on a good day.

Is itpossible that I was sold the wrong set of discs?

How do I run diagnostics on the SuperSpeed USB ports?

Dennis...

HP Recommended

Component diagnostics are accessed by tapping F2 as you power up. You can test each usb port. It will ask you to insert a usb device into each one to test it.  

HP Recommended

Only four entries appear:  Memory, Hard Drive; Language and Exit.

HP Recommended

Then you do not have UEFI diagnostics installed. You can actually make a bootable thumb drive that will run UEFI diagnostics without needing to make a partition on the hard drive. 

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5212848&swItemId=ob_129420_1&swEnvOid=406...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.