Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13in (2017)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received the new 13in spectre x360, but there seems to be something strange going on with the charger. Every time I move the laptop or the cable a little, while it's plugged in, the charging gets interrupted. The cable needs to be taken out and reinsterted to continue. It practically means I can't use it on my lap, while charging.

Is this normal or is my charger or ports defective?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @anovak10,

I reviewed the response comprehensively.  Thanks for the super quick reply. Superb job on trying out a different charger to isolate the issue correctly. It clearly establishes the fact that the charger is faulty. You've done an amazing job here. Smiley Happy Kudos to you for a job well done. Smiley Happy

You need to contact HP phone support and get a new adapter and power cord.  Please follow the steps mentioned in my earlier post to contact HP.  You don't need to send the computer for service. You just need to contact HP support and have a different compatible adapter shipped to you which should do the trick.

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been simply marvelous to work with and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Thanks again for your wonderful time and for doing business with HP. Smiley Happy

I genuinely hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time. Smiley Happy I am really happy for you that the computer need not be sent for repair and you just need to get the charger shipped to you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @anovak10,

Thanks for stopping by the HP forums. Good day! Smiley Happy I read the post about charging disconnections on your notebook when it is moved.It will be a delight to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Superb effort and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Have you bypassed power strips?
  • Have you tried different wall outlets?
  • Have you checked with a different charger if you could get hold of one?              

For starters please perform a hard reset from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Then to isolate the issue further, please contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician and try with a different charger if possible to replicate the issue. If it does not happen with another charger, then the charger is the culprit and needs to be replaced. Please do not purchase the charger as the unit is under warranty.

If the issue continues with a different charger, then the computer’s power port has an issue and the unit needs to be serviced by contacting HP phone support.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

If the unit is brand new and purchased directly from HP, then you could contact HP shopping to get the product exchanged as you get a 30-day window to do it. Link for HP shopping: http://store.hp.com

Please select the country and you should find the phone# to call.

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you always. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the proposed solutions. I tried to use a macbook charger, which worked just fine and no amount of wiggle interrupted the connection. 

It, therefore, seems, that the charger is at fault. 

I have bought directly from the hp online store. Will I have to send the whole package including the laptop back or can the charger be replaced separately? Alternatively could this be done in a nearby BestBuy?

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @anovak10,

I reviewed the response comprehensively.  Thanks for the super quick reply. Superb job on trying out a different charger to isolate the issue correctly. It clearly establishes the fact that the charger is faulty. You've done an amazing job here. Smiley Happy Kudos to you for a job well done. Smiley Happy

You need to contact HP phone support and get a new adapter and power cord.  Please follow the steps mentioned in my earlier post to contact HP.  You don't need to send the computer for service. You just need to contact HP support and have a different compatible adapter shipped to you which should do the trick.

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been simply marvelous to work with and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Thanks again for your wonderful time and for doing business with HP. Smiley Happy

I genuinely hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time. Smiley Happy I am really happy for you that the computer need not be sent for repair and you just need to get the charger shipped to you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @anovak10,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.