Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi!

After one week of usage, my new USB Flash Drive v210w 16 GB appears as Write Protected.

Impossible to add a new file, delete an old file, even format the whole USB Flash Drive. 

I tried various procedures described on forums, as

• My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePoliciesWriteProtect > Value Data set to 0 
  • \devise\harddisk1\dr2

and normal formatting (Properties > Format) and low level formatting tools, as

but in vain.

What happened? How to resume using my USB Flash Drive normally?

I'm running a mini 311c on XP SP3.

Thank you for your help and best regards.

--- rei_vilo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi!

I get help from hp support service.

The support technician suggested me to perform a disk format test with http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html.

It failed and prompted the message "Disk protected", so my USB Flash Drive was considered as dead.

So I went back to my reseller and proceeded to an exchange. The reseller wasn't surprised: according to him, big USB Flash Drives seems to be prone to this kind of malfunction.

I hope to be luckier with the new one!

--- rei_vilo

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi!

I get help from hp support service.

The support technician suggested me to perform a disk format test with http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html.

It failed and prompted the message "Disk protected", so my USB Flash Drive was considered as dead.

So I went back to my reseller and proceeded to an exchange. The reseller wasn't surprised: according to him, big USB Flash Drives seems to be prone to this kind of malfunction.

I hope to be luckier with the new one!

--- rei_vilo
HP Recommended

I too have this problem, the Flash Drive will not allow any overwriting or deletion, but fail to understand that this log is marked as "Solved" If the solution is to exchange it for another one?

Seems to me that HP have an issue here, as other 16gb flash drives I have such as Sony, Maxell, Scandisk are trouble free, now I have to go back to where I bought it and get it changed on a basis of it might happen again!

HP Recommended

Bonjour psburrows,

Yes, the solution is to exchange it for another one :smileyindifferent:

Warranty is two years long :generic:

--- rei_vilo
HP Recommended
Hi! 
I contacted hp support and got as an answer the name of a recovery utility Ufix.rar.  
Unfortunately, this utility doesn't recognize the v210w.

hp-branded flash USB cards are manufactured by PNY.
So I went to the PNY website and dug a little. 
Actually, the latest release is Ufix2v3. 
Ufix-II (USB Flash Driver Format Tool)	
Applicable for PNY/HP 4GB/8GB/16GB/32GB flash drive products 
(This software is not applied to A.V.S. Attaché, 
but applicable for AVS-II)	
2.98MB	
Download

It worked and restored my USB card.

Windows and Mac OS format utilities seem not to handle correctly the USB flash card correctly.
Mac OS says there's a 16 GB drive mounted on an USB support. I can unmount the volume without eject the USB connection.

hp: Please mention this solution on the FAQ!

Best regards, 

--- rei_vilo
HP Recommended

Hello There,

I have the exact problem that my HP Flash Drive is write protected and nothing I can do about it, but using UFIX-II is completely solving my problem. Thanks.

Cheers,

-r1ez-

HP Recommended

Hi!

I'm glad it worked for you.

Please click on Kudos so the answer would be recommended!

Best regards, 

--- rei_vilo
HP Recommended

The ufix repaired my device too. But I had to take a few tries, so don't panik, if it won't work immediately.

Big thanks!

HP Recommended

hi same problem....pls help USB Flash Drive v210w 16 GB Write Protected!!!! i cant find where to download Ufix-II pls tel me where i can download it..?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.