Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G60 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This problem is intermittent but since installing windows 10, when I insert a USB memory stick, it doesn't load or appear in my choice of drives I can see on my pc. By doing some digging, my computer says it can't open it because it as still information from that stick in a previous use on memory. Please explain.

Robert Daigneault
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@R2D2-8 wrote:

This problem is intermittent but since installing windows 10, when I insert a USB memory stick, it doesn't load or appear in my choice of drives I can see on my pc. By doing some digging, my computer says it can't open it because it as still information from that stick in a previous use on memory. Please explain.

That would be something you need to send to or contact Microsoft Windows support. This isn't a hp related problem.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@R2D2-8 wrote:

That would be something you need to send to or contact Microsoft Windows support. This isn't a hp related problem.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

Found out something new about my USB memory stick problem and I think it as to be an HP problem not a Microsoft problem. Now that Windows version 10 is installed since then I have used my HP simple save HDD to do a complete new backup with Windows 10 applications. That worked fine and then procedeed to safely eject my HDD because I don't use it as my computer storage unit since I still have about half of my PC HDD space available. I do a backup once a month to have a back-up in case my PC fails. After removing the simple save, the connected symbol in the lower task bar disappears which is normal but after I shut down the computer at the end of the day and re-start it the next day, that simple save in lower taskbar re-appears thinking that it is still connected and then that's why my computer doesn't see another device like a USB memory stick since the computer thinks that my simple save is still connected. To remedy the problem, I have right click the symbol of the simple save which gives me an exit option then I have to plug my USB memory stick and re-start my computer for it to finally be able to see the memory stick. In windows 7 after unplugging safely my simple save, the symbol would disappear and not come back after shutdown and re-start and would have no problem connecting any other external memory device etheir being another type of external HDD or any USB memory stick. Is there an update that as to be done on my simple save or program running it on my PC in Windows 10 to stop this from happening again ? I know that everytime I plug my simple save, it looks for updates to install before doing the back-up but it has not changed the problem. Windows gives me Windows error code 38 is causing the problem.

Robert Daigneault
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.