Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have had the HP Pavilion g6t-1b00 CTO Notebook PC for a year or two now. I've been having a couple of problems with internet connectivity and putting my computer on "sleep".

However, few days ago, my keyboard randomly started acting weirdly. When I would try to type certain letter/numbers, they would come out differently. 

Ex. pressing the space bar would show up " ./M" instead

I tried restarting my computer many times and installed a BiOS update which fixed all of my issues except for my up and down arrow keys. As of now, they have no function; I can't scroll with them and they don't seem to be taking on the role of another key. I have tried using the keys on different programs. Using the touch pad to scroll works but I still can't use the up and down keys.

Is there anyway to get the up and down arrow keys to work again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Larasoft,

You can do it yourself; it’s not too terrible of a task to accomplish.

Here is the service manual for your computer and on page 50 are the directions to remove the keyboard.  To actually get the keyboard itself you can contact the HP help desk at 1-800-474-6836 if you reside in the US or Canada or click on this link and select your location and the number will be provided for you.

Now if you don’t feel comfortable, the HP help desk can provide you a quote to get the keyboard replaced directly through them so that option is still possible.

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it.

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello Larasoft,

I understand you’re up and down arrow keys are not functioning, is that accurate? I will do all I can to help you with this issue.

I want you to access the setup menu to test the keys out, see instructions below.

1.       Shut down the computer.

2.       Locate the F10 key across the top.

3.       When you turn the computer back on immediately start tapping the F10 key repeatedly.

4.       If successful you should be on setup utility screen. What’s different about this is you can only use you arrow keys to navigate.  

5.       Try working the arrow keys  up and down on different menus and see if they work.

6.       Once you tested it press F9 to setup defaults and then press F10 to save and exit.

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it.

Please respond at your earliest convenience with you results.

Thanks

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended
The up and down arrow keys aren't working in that mode.
HP Recommended

Larasoft,

Thank you for your quick response.

With that being said its going to be the keyboard itself needs to be replaced.  Again what is very unique about that mode is the computer uses the most basic drivers possible because that’s all it needs to function in that environment.

Do you know if you’re still covered under warranty?

Thanks

HP Recommended
I believe my warranty expired this summer. well I have to send my computer to HP or can I do it myself?
HP Recommended

Larasoft,

You can do it yourself; it’s not too terrible of a task to accomplish.

Here is the service manual for your computer and on page 50 are the directions to remove the keyboard.  To actually get the keyboard itself you can contact the HP help desk at 1-800-474-6836 if you reside in the US or Canada or click on this link and select your location and the number will be provided for you.

Now if you don’t feel comfortable, the HP help desk can provide you a quote to get the keyboard replaced directly through them so that option is still possible.

Thanks

HP Recommended
Thank you for help!
HP Recommended

Larasoft,

You are very welcome. If you have any future issues or concerns don’t hesitate to ask.

Also if this solution is helpful to you please make accepted solution so if anyone else in the community has a similar problem they can try what we tried.

Thank you again. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information on the directional keys- worked like a charm. I just unpacked a Pavilion 21 refurbuished last night and was begining to think something was seriously wrong with the wirreless key board. I did figure out that the batteries that came with it started to die after an hour and that was part of the problem but the direction keys stopped after the batteries were changed. All better - for the moment. Thanks again. 8.1 is hard enough to figure out with a working keyboard.

HP Recommended

I tried your fix and went to the stup page using F10 to get to it, then using F9 to set to default and F10 once more to save the default settings. My up and down keys were working fine on the page but as soon as i left it the keys went back to not working again, i've been through the same procedure a few times now but i know the keys should work seeing that they work in the setup page so i know i dont need a new keyboard, what should i do?? Really bad with laptops etc haha, thanks, KVaghela

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.