Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion DV7 4120EB
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi all !

I just got an HP laptop from a friend, it is a Pavillion DV7 4120EB, it was sold in Belgium.

I updated the bios to V F.29, the latest avaible in HP support.

I saw in this same webpage that HP is providing an UEFI update for this computer, I'd like to update to it but the software update is creating me an UEFI bootable usb key for the update, the problem is that this computer is not currently supporting UEFI boot...

I searched a lot trought HP forums and Google, tried somme tricks like plug the USB key and boot the PC with Windows + B keys held, the PC seems to work for  1 to 2 minutes then it stops and nothing has been updated.

I also formated it to Windows 8.1 (MSDN version) and deleted HP_TOOLS partition (which has been re-created by the Update Assistant)

Can anyone please help me ?

Thanks a lot by advance !

PS : Please excuse my (probably) bad english, this is not my mother tongue 😉

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There is a specific UEFI update, separate from the BIOS, found here:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52509.exe

This is for Windows 7. 

HP Recommended
Hi huffer and thank you for your answer

This is the file I used to create an USB key called HP_TOOLS but it don't work because the PC don't support uefi boot actually

I tried the USB diagnosis key 3in 1 when I boot to it it load something and then the PC reboot, I have to press ESC and then f2 and it seam to boot in uefi mode..

I'll try more tonight

Thank you
HP Recommended

You can either put that UEFI boot files on a thumb drive or directly in the computer, I believe. Why do you see the need to "UEFI boot"?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.