Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-1099eo
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I would like to know if it is cost effective to do an upgrade to my Envy 13-1099eo laptop and change out the HDD to a SSD. I am fairly certain my original hard drive is finished as I cannot boot the computer. I have tried everything I know but It keeps showing up with: "boot device cannot be found". 

The computer was very expensive when I bought it but of course it is a few years ago. 

What type of connection / interphase SSD should I purchase for it as there is many specific types? Sata, size, PCI etc etc. 

Last question: is it an easy upgrade that I can do myself?? Anybody know the steps?

I imagine I can just download teh windows 7 and use my original key to install the OS. 

Thanks in advance for all the assistance. 

Chilibean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That was a 2009-2010 laptop but the Service Manual is still available:

Manual

Yes you can upgrade from the hard drive to an SSD. See p. 4-15 for instructions. It is a little bit harder than average, but still doable for the end user. The only type of SSD you can install is a 2.5 inch wide SATA SSD. You had a 250 gig hard drive from the factory and a 250 gig SSD is going to be right under $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Reinstalling Windows 7 is a bit of an issue. Microsoft used to make it available for download but stopped that about 2 years ago. You can purchase an OEM copy of Windows 7 or there are still mirror sites that host the old Microsoft downloads but you have to be a little careful with them obviously. You can also probably find an HP original recovery disk for maybe $30-40 at one of several sites. 

Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

That was a 2009-2010 laptop but the Service Manual is still available:

Manual

Yes you can upgrade from the hard drive to an SSD. See p. 4-15 for instructions. It is a little bit harder than average, but still doable for the end user. The only type of SSD you can install is a 2.5 inch wide SATA SSD. You had a 250 gig hard drive from the factory and a 250 gig SSD is going to be right under $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Reinstalling Windows 7 is a bit of an issue. Microsoft used to make it available for download but stopped that about 2 years ago. You can purchase an OEM copy of Windows 7 or there are still mirror sites that host the old Microsoft downloads but you have to be a little careful with them obviously. You can also probably find an HP original recovery disk for maybe $30-40 at one of several sites. 

Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the extremely prompt solution. I will try your suggestion. I did not want to throw away the computer as I have 2 extra batteries that attach to the bottom thereby giving many hours of use with out an external power source. 

I will let you know how it turned out. 

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year

Kind regards,

Chilibean

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.