Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7-1173dx LW416UAR
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade the CPU, video graphics, hard drive, and RAM in a Pavilion g7-1173dx LW416UAR Notebook and would like to know the best ones to look for that would be compatible with this system.  Also, where would be the best place to purchase these products to upgrade (price, avalibiltiy, support, etc.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

According to the specs this is what you have:

Microprocessor
2.60GHz Vision Premium Technology from AMD with AMD Phenom II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P650
Microprocessor Cache
2MB L2 Cache
Memory
4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 DIMM)
Memory Max

Video Graphics
Radeon HD 4250 Graphics

This is your Service Manual:

Link to Service Manual

You have this motherboard:

For use only with computer models equipped with an AMD Athlon, Phenom, Turion, or V-series processor and a graphics subsystem with UMA video memory 638856-001

That is going to limit the processor and video options. Your best CPU is going to be this one:

AMD Phenom II N970 2.20-GHz processor (2.0-MB L2 cache, 1333-MHz, 3.6GT/ sec, quad core, 35 W) 635496-001

There is no way to upgrade the video without also replacing the motherboard. 

max RAM is 8 gigs of DDR3-1333. You just need one more 4 gig chip to max the memory. You have a 5400 or 7200 rpm 500 gig mechanical hard drive and your best upgrade will be a solid state drive. 

Where are you located (country only) and we can start linking you to vendors. Do you plan to do the labor your self? Have you stopped to consider what all this will cost? What is your realistic budget for upgrade and we can help prioritize?  

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

According to the specs this is what you have:

Microprocessor
2.60GHz Vision Premium Technology from AMD with AMD Phenom II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P650
Microprocessor Cache
2MB L2 Cache
Memory
4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 DIMM)
Memory Max

Video Graphics
Radeon HD 4250 Graphics

This is your Service Manual:

Link to Service Manual

You have this motherboard:

For use only with computer models equipped with an AMD Athlon, Phenom, Turion, or V-series processor and a graphics subsystem with UMA video memory 638856-001

That is going to limit the processor and video options. Your best CPU is going to be this one:

AMD Phenom II N970 2.20-GHz processor (2.0-MB L2 cache, 1333-MHz, 3.6GT/ sec, quad core, 35 W) 635496-001

There is no way to upgrade the video without also replacing the motherboard. 

max RAM is 8 gigs of DDR3-1333. You just need one more 4 gig chip to max the memory. You have a 5400 or 7200 rpm 500 gig mechanical hard drive and your best upgrade will be a solid state drive. 

Where are you located (country only) and we can start linking you to vendors. Do you plan to do the labor your self? Have you stopped to consider what all this will cost? What is your realistic budget for upgrade and we can help prioritize?  

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Where are you located (country only) and we can start linking you to vendors.

United States

Do you plan to do the labor your self? 

Yes

Have you stopped to consider what all this will cost?

Cost vs purchasing another system is why I am looking

What is your realistic budget for upgrade and we can help prioritize?

I am looking to upgrade in stages.  I would like to upgrade the cpu first (approx < $100), then RAM (appox <$100), if these appear to do the job then upgrade hard drive.  Yes, I would like to upgrade to a Solid State Drive.  I think that upgrade will probably be the most costly, but I would probably have to do that in another system I purchased.  I did see some systems that had them on refurbished models.

HP Recommended

The CPU is over $100:

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Quad-Core-N970-HMN970DCR42GM/dp/B00ZEWMCFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Memory is $16:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-DDR3-SDRAM-Memory-Module/dp/B0030L3B8E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437518742&sr...

If it were my laptop I would forego the CPU....not much bang for the buck. Your best upgrade for the money is going to be the SSD...about $100 for a 250 gig Samsung Evo 850 and $178 for a 500:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

8 gigs of RAM and an SSD will make a big difference,,,,the CPU not so much. I would do the memory then the SSD then the CPU only if you think you still need it. 

HP Recommended

I made all the upgrades you said, plus a mobo with updated cooling chipset, CMOS battery, dc power, keyboard and a new fan. Windows 10 fired right up where I left off, which was impressive!  I transered to the SSD and it's like a new computer!  I've had to reinstall a few apps, and ultimately it works perfectly.  I love it!  Thank you SO much for the detailed advice!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.