Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
G61-320CA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,.

I bought this laptop in 2005 ( new )

Product name:                         HP G61-320CA ( laptop,notebook)

Product number:                    VM345UA#ABC

Microprocessor:                      2.00 GHz AMD Athlon II Dual-Core processor for notebook PCs M300

Microprocessor cache;         1MB L2 Cache

Motherboard:,   DAOOP8MB6DO   REV: D (can't make out if these are zeroes or letters after DA and after P8MB)

also writen near the edge 16''OP8

After a good clean-up, I realized that I have the possibility to upgrade the processor. The processor is removable.

The actual cpu installed is an AMD Athlon II

Is there by any chance, a way to find an upgrade to this processor that could be compatible with laptop ?

Tech support told me that Intel were not capatible, that I have to stay with AMD but he coulndn`t tell me wich one I could install.

This laptop is not under warranty anymore, but is in perfect condition. I would like to find a faster compatible cpu.

Even if discontinued, I know I can find an upgrade on eBay ( like any of my desktops PCs.)

Thx alot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Manual

Top compatible processor:

AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor: M600 2.4-GHz processor, 2-MB L2 cache, 3.6 GT/s HyperTransport speed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-TMM600DB023GQ-AMD-Turion-II-Ultra-M600-2-4Ghz-Socket-S1-CPU-Procesor-...

They are practically giving these AMD processors away because there is just no demand. It might be a fun project and if you have already opened it up and have seen how to remove and replace the processor at this price you might as well. There will be some improvement but do not expect miracles. Let us know if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Manual

Top compatible processor:

AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor: M600 2.4-GHz processor, 2-MB L2 cache, 3.6 GT/s HyperTransport speed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-TMM600DB023GQ-AMD-Turion-II-Ultra-M600-2-4Ghz-Socket-S1-CPU-Procesor-...

They are practically giving these AMD processors away because there is just no demand. It might be a fun project and if you have already opened it up and have seen how to remove and replace the processor at this price you might as well. There will be some improvement but do not expect miracles. Let us know if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the info and the link.

Found a new one and should get it real soon. I changed the thermal paste last week, so I should be ok swapping them.

I will post an update as soon my new CPU is installed

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Hi,

Once again, thx a million for the information.

Was able to find the cpu you suggested ( brand new )

Like you said, no miracles but I can see a very good difference. Did many tests today and it now runs better than yesterday.

Happy to see that my dinosaur will have a few years before dying on me. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.