Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Notebook Presario CQ56-113SL
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Notebook Presario CQ56-113SL.

The CPU is a AMD V140 processor (2.3 GHz) single core 25 W (part 616333-001)

The motherboard is a Hewlet Packard 1604 (Socket S1G4) part number: 623915-001

The current OS is windows 7 Professional, which I'm planning to upgrade to Windows 10.

The problem is that in common tasks (such as windows upgrades, multiple pages browsing, multiple files
copying to HD) the CPU gets up to 99% usage and the hardware RAM (4GB installed) is used up to 75%.

I have upgraded RAM to 8GB. This helped a little bit, but still the 99% CPU usage is disturbing, as it makes
the computer quite hot and noisy most of the time.

I'm thinking to upgrade the CPU, and I know for sure that the system board could run a dual core such as an
AMD Athlon II N370 processor (2.5 GHz, 1-MB L2 cache,1066 MHz, 3.2 GT/s)-- dual-core 35 W.

More expensive CQ56 models were in fact sold with this CPU.

However, I would like to upgrade the CPU to a quad-core CPU that can fit in the S1g4 socket.
For example, a Phenom II P920. This CPU has a lower frequency (1600 MHz) and same TDP 25W.
It should have better performace with less heat, and improve multitasking jobs significantly.
However the multiplier clock of the quad-core is 8X compared to the 11X of my current single
core CPU.

The question is whether the system board can support this lower clock CPU. Detailed informations about
the 1604 Motherboard cannot be found.

Can anybody help me?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Basically the motherboard information that is available is included in the Service Manual for your model:

Manual

See p. 18. This is the highest and best compatible processor.

AMD Athlon II N370 processor (2.5 GHz, 1-MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz, 3.2 GT/s)-- dual-core 35 W 634686-001

You have already figured this out. You can only safely assume that processors listed in the Manual will work. AMD boards tend to be a bit more flexible than Intel i.e. will accept a broader range of processors but I would be very surprised if any Quad Core processor would work. 

HP Recommended

I can personally guarantee that AMD Phenom II P960 will work a charm with this motherboard/laptop.

Assuming it wil work i have installed it myself some 5 months ago.

proof.png

A picture to prove it is attached.

Hope it helps.

And oh, anything that has same socked and comes from AMD will likelly work given it has same power consumption.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.