Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy dv7t - 7200
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello experts!

I bought my HP back in 2013 as modified as I could afford at the time.  It's my main business production computer, and it's all about graphics, 3D rendering and animations, etc.  I can't afford a new computer right now, but I'm asking how I might affordably upgrade, if possible at all.  Here are my specs:

From Windows Control Panel:
Intel Core i7 3630 QM cpu @ 2.40 GHz 2.40 GHz
64-bit OS, x64-based processor
Installed RAM: 16.0GB(15.9 usable)

From HP Manual found online:
Intel Quad Core i7-3630QM 2.40-GHz
processor (SC turbo up to 3.40-GHz;
1600-MHz FSB, 6.0-MB L3 cache,
45 W)

Memory:
DDR3-1600-MHz dual channel support
Supports up to 16384-MB system RAM
(appears I'm maxed out).

Internal Graphics:
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (on computer
models equipped with an Intel Core i7/
i5/i3 3000-series processor

Switchable discrete graphics:
NVIDIA GeForce 650M with 2048-MB
of dedicated video memory (64-MB×32
GDDR5×8 PCs, 5Gbps); 128-bit M2 29-
mm×29-mm

From the above information, this motherboard won't support any more than the 16GB of RAM I already have.  Correct?

What is "SC turbo up to 3.4-GHz;"?  This sounds expensive, like a new processor.  What exactly is this?

This laptop has been exceptional.  I added a 120GB SSD a couple of years ago for my Windows 8.1 OS, and have my original 1TB HD as a secondary data drive.

Am I pretty much already maxed out, or are there affordable things I can do to pump this thing up a bit?

Thank you!

Kalen Lake

(removed content)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nope you have maxxed it out. 16 gigs RAM and you have the top processor and video solution and an SSD. SC turbo just means the processor is theoretically capable of bursting up to 3.4 ghz when it is particularly challenged. It is just a feature of the processor you have. 

There is just nothing more you can do to that laptop for any amount of money. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Nope you have maxxed it out. 16 gigs RAM and you have the top processor and video solution and an SSD. SC turbo just means the processor is theoretically capable of bursting up to 3.4 ghz when it is particularly challenged. It is just a feature of the processor you have. 

There is just nothing more you can do to that laptop for any amount of money. 

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the bottom line info.  I really appreciate it!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.