Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6 6169-us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hey Guys. I have a HP Pavilion dv6 6169-us and Im going to upgrade my motherboard to go from 64MB of Dedicated video memory and about 2GB of Intergrated to a whopping 2GB of descrite GPU memory with HD 6770 graphics :P. 

So I belive I have everything worked out. I have an Intel dual core processor so I need the following HP parts. The Quotes are from my service manual provided by HP.

HP Part Number

#650800-001 Motherboard for use with Intel Processors - "For use only with computer models equipped with a dual core processor, the Intel HD6770 graphics subsystem, and 2048-MB of discrete memory"

#650797-001 Fan/Heatsink Assembly for use with Intel Processors  -  "For use only with computer models equipped with a graphics subsystem with 2048-MBdiscrete memory"

Now I have the thermal compound for the CPU but I was reading that I need a termal pad for the GPU. I saw they come in different thicknesses and my service manual doesnt give any indication to what thickness of thermal padding I need. Any ideas or suggestions? 

Also this is my first time upgrading a laptop motherboard. Ive completely taken apart my laptop down to the motherboard about 10 times most of the time without a hitch :P, so I was wondering what happens when you upgrade a motherboard for a HP laptop?  One of the things Im assuming is that HP's website and HP's Support Assistant isnt going to detect my laptop as a Pavilion dv6 6169-us but instead whatever specific model dv6 comes with the upgraded motherboard. 

Any feedback would be totally appriciated. For an IT guy this is my Christmas Present 🙂 Im sure you guys can relate 😛 Thanks guys

Ste2ph
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@treecheetahdolo

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts 😉

These are the qualities to look for, 

While getting thermal pad replacements:

• Low thermal impedance
  • Electrically non-conductive
  • Solid at room temperature, it softens at heatsink operating temperatures
  • Conforms to surface irregularities

The thinnest you can get away with will be the ones you want to use.
They aren't too important on the RAM (because RAM doesn't get too hot), but they are on the VRM's.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@treecheetahdolo

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,
The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

I understand you've upgraded the motherboard to the max and one gamer to another, congratulations on stepping to the next level 😉

Although I must let you know, HP doesn't recommend changing motherboard as it (as you know) voids the warranty.

That said, here are a few YouTube videos that should help your cause: Click here & here to know how to apply it (safely)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank You so much for your reply! I saw both videos and I didnt know that I should be spreading the thermal compound with a card evenly across the heatsink, Ive been doing it wrong all along, lol. Thank you for the information. But also Im still stumped about what thickness thermal pad I should be getting for the GPU. Any ideas?

Ste2ph
HP Recommended

@treecheetahdolo

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts 😉

These are the qualities to look for, 

While getting thermal pad replacements:

• Low thermal impedance
  • Electrically non-conductive
  • Solid at room temperature, it softens at heatsink operating temperatures
  • Conforms to surface irregularities

The thinnest you can get away with will be the ones you want to use.
They aren't too important on the RAM (because RAM doesn't get too hot), but they are on the VRM's.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.