Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-e015 tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I want to replace my laptop's wifi+bluetooth RT3290 card with an a/b/g/n/ac supporting card with at least 300Mbps support and dual antenae as I am going to purchase an AC router. My bios version is F27 which I got from the official driver support. No hardware replacements have been made yet.

Would anyone give me some suggestions as to which NICs will be best for my laptop having all the above specifications.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well you can completely disassemble the laptop and add a second antenna lead if you want to upgrade the internal card, or use a usb 3.0 wireless/bluetooth dongle. The is no 802.11ac wireless card that can operate off a single antenna. Also we have not even figured out the whitelist issue to see if you could install a different card even if you added an antenna. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here's the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 51 for "how to". The good news is that there is an easy access panel to the wireless card so you do not need to spend hours in disassembly. The bad news comes in two parts. Firstly, your laptop is right on the cusp of the notorious HP wifi "whitelist" era where the BIOS will cold stop any effort to install a wireless card other than the few listed in the Manual, none of which come close to your specs. HP has never published a definitive list of laptop models that are past the whitelist so we have had to kind of figure it out by second-hand trial and error. Mostly your trial, our error. Your model may or may not have the whitelist, in simple terms. We don't know until you experiment a bit. 

The second possible problem is that you may have only one antenna wire lead. If so, any upgrade to a better card is very very difficult and would require nearly complete disassembly. 

So, the first step is to open the access panel and count antenna leads on the existing wireless card. The path forward is radically different depending on whether the answer is one or two. 

Post back if you have more questions. 

HP Recommended
It has only one presently.
HP Recommended

Well you can completely disassemble the laptop and add a second antenna lead if you want to upgrade the internal card, or use a usb 3.0 wireless/bluetooth dongle. The is no 802.11ac wireless card that can operate off a single antenna. Also we have not even figured out the whitelist issue to see if you could install a different card even if you added an antenna. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.