Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

#gbranch

I am in the process of purchasing an HP Envy 15.6 with the quad I7 (Win 7 Pro 64bit). During my research I noticed heat issue comments from other users. Thinking of trying to reduce the thermal dynamics by moving to a SSD. I was wondering if you could comment to any thermal metrics by moving to the Crucial M500 SSD?

I do see the price for the M500 is running about 297.00. I was also considering a hybrid drive which runs around 79.00 but this may not releave any thermal output.

I have been using the Apricorn hard drive cloning HW/SW suite for several years now and have had excellent results to any hard drive transitions.

HP Recommended

I use the Crucial M500, and it really helps cut the thermal issues.  I tried one of the hybrids, and while decent, the performance is nowhere near the Crucial M500 SSD. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please can someonehelp me please here. My Hp envy laptop stopped booting. I did the test and confirmed a failure of the TOSHIBA HDD 1TB. Someone advised me to attach the HDD through SATA to another functional laptop. On connecting to another laptop the data on my document appeared as shortcut and attempt to open it was unsuccessful.  It read ''access denied''. 

HP Recommended

Vachsen,

I am replacing an HDD on an HP Envy 15z-j100 that died on me. I was planning on buying an MX300 275 GB SDD from crucial (their website says its compatible). The only option (I know of) is to use the recovery software on flash drive purchased from HP, since I cannot clone a dead HDD. It sounds like your experience shows this does not work. Do you know of any other method?

Also, according to Erico here all you need is an SSD that is greater than 160GB for the recovery media to work.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@gbranch wrote:

I have an HP ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j000, and switched the 1TB HDD to a Crucial M500 960GB.  The easiest way to make the switch was to also purchase their 'Easy Laptop Install Kit.' That worked like a champ.  You cannot just use the Recovery Media you created when you set up your laptop, nor will the Recovery Media that you can purchase.  If you want to do a full install, you can get a legal image from Microsoft and then use your windows 8 code.  Again though, I find the easiest method is using the Easy Laptop Install Kit which migrates the entire disc (HDD) over to the new SSD.  Once that is done, I made a recovery image using Acronis True Image, which I keep along with my current backups.  Hope that helps.  By the way, the Crucial site walks you though which SSD is compatible to your particular HP Envy laptop.

@gbranch

Another member pointed out what you stated in this thread. 

Your statement is not correct.

The USB recovery media that is created by the HP Recovery media creator does indeed work with SSD disks.

The first thing you have to do prior to using the USB recovery media with an SSD is to prep the SSD disk with the DiskPart utility that is part of the Windows OS.

I described the method of upgrading to an SSD in explicit detail when I responded to a question that became a sticky thread that is at the top of the Notebook > Hardware section of the forum.

Here is a link to the sticky

There is also an image there which shows the commands that you need to use with DiskPart in order to prep the SSD.

It was placed there so all members and anyone searching on the internet could find the information. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.