03-04-2014 02:06 PM
I would like to know if there is any possibility of upgrading my HP Pavilion dv-t 8 1100 CTO laptop (Product# VF836AV) to a better motherboard.
If not, can I upgrade to a better or newer CPU's?
Thanks a lot,
03-04-2014 02:45 PM
As far as I can see there is only one dv8 system board and the only processors which are compatible are 1st gen i7s. Here is the manual:
The board has the PM55 chipset which will only support 1st gen Intel core processors. HP can make it support a smaller subset of CPUs, but can't make it accept 2d or 3rd gen processors.
I know the dv8 is kind of a unique creature and finding another monster laptop will not be easy but there is just no other motherboard or better CPUs available. I know Alienware makes an 18 inch gaming laptop that I believe uses slightly newer processors. If you could live with a 17 inch screen there are many more options.
If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps
- Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset
- HP PCs - Improving Slow System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10)
- HP PCs – Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 8)