Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-AC639NG Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I would like to upgrade the video card of my laptop, but I am not familiar with laptops. How do I find out what video cards are compatible with my motherboard? Is it worth it making the upgrade or it is risky? Currently I have a AMD R5 video card. What other advices do you have for me? Thank you in advance. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is a very frequent question and one that does not earn a lot of goodwill, but the truth is there is no way to upgrade your video. Laptops have custom designed motherboards and a lot of the cards that you can insert into a desktop are installed in a laptop by having chips soldered flat onto the motherboard. I mean have you ever seen a desktop video card? How could you possibly put such a thing in a laptop? Some very, very special made gaming and engineering laptops have a slot to put a blg flat video card into but no HP consumer laptop has such a slot. Laptops that have that capability are over $2000 and even then the cards are not freely interchangeable like a desktop. So, the simple answer to your question is that you can't do it. Sorry. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This is a very frequent question and one that does not earn a lot of goodwill, but the truth is there is no way to upgrade your video. Laptops have custom designed motherboards and a lot of the cards that you can insert into a desktop are installed in a laptop by having chips soldered flat onto the motherboard. I mean have you ever seen a desktop video card? How could you possibly put such a thing in a laptop? Some very, very special made gaming and engineering laptops have a slot to put a blg flat video card into but no HP consumer laptop has such a slot. Laptops that have that capability are over $2000 and even then the cards are not freely interchangeable like a desktop. So, the simple answer to your question is that you can't do it. Sorry. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick answer. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.