Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17" ab200na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I noticed that if i need to plug out the AC before the battery`s fully (or almost fully) charged, the battery indicator will show a higher percentage. I needed to plug it out halfway only  2 or 3 times since I got the laptop (3 weeks old). Last time I plugged out when the battery indicator showed 34%, jumped right to 39%.  Is there something wrong with the battery?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ekov

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion - 17-ab200na and have a battery related query. I read that when you disconnect the charger before the battery is fully charged,  the battery indicator will show a higher percentage. Last time the battery indicator jumped from 34% to 35% when you disconnected the charger. I'll surely answer this for you.

It sounds absolutely normal for the battery to show the hidden charge when the AC adapter is connected. Though, just to clarify the doubt, let us refer to this document to calibrate the battery in your laptop. Please refer to the steps mentioned under "Manually Calibrating the battery" from this link.

A laptop battery has a few cells in it. Each cell holds a charge and thus supplies power to the laptop in the absence of the charger. The charge % depends on the number of cells that have been charged. So disconnecting the charger midway might also show the charge for a cell that has been charged halfway. To understand more about how your laptop's battery works please refer to this link

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ekov

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion - 17-ab200na and have a battery related query. I read that when you disconnect the charger before the battery is fully charged,  the battery indicator will show a higher percentage. Last time the battery indicator jumped from 34% to 35% when you disconnected the charger. I'll surely answer this for you.

It sounds absolutely normal for the battery to show the hidden charge when the AC adapter is connected. Though, just to clarify the doubt, let us refer to this document to calibrate the battery in your laptop. Please refer to the steps mentioned under "Manually Calibrating the battery" from this link.

A laptop battery has a few cells in it. Each cell holds a charge and thus supplies power to the laptop in the absence of the charger. The charge % depends on the number of cells that have been charged. So disconnecting the charger midway might also show the charge for a cell that has been charged halfway. To understand more about how your laptop's battery works please refer to this link

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
Thank you for both the answer and the links. Have a nice day!
HP Recommended

Hi  @ekov,

I am really glad that the issue has been resolved.as @MKazi is out of office for the day, I am replying on his behalf. Brilliant troubleshooting was done by you to fix it. Kudos to you for that. For further assistance please feel free to reach out to the support forums always.

Take care and have a blessed weekend. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.