Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp 2000-210 usa
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP 2000-210usa laptop computer is about 5 years old and I recently upgraded the hard drive and the memory, but I gather that the video memory cannot be upgraded. The computer works great, but video is not. I have Windows7 as the operating system and I have no desire to change that to Windows 8 or  10.

why are most computers not built to be continually upgradable?

if there are computers built to be continually upgradable, I would like to find out about them. Are there any out there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I always build my own desktops. Motherboards continue to be sold in the ATX form factor and there are enclosures (cases) that can accept multiple motherboard form factors. Commercial desktops (e.g. HP) can often accept a third party motherboard for later upgrade, but not always. 

In 1995 laptops had 640 x 480 screens, weighed 11 pounds and used NiCad batteries with "memory effect". And they cost $2500. I know as I collect vintage laptops. Nothing you would want to try to use now. If you want to have decent hardware to use at all times there is no substitute for buying smart, but you also have to know when to buy again. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

What is continually upgradeable? A desktop is continually upgradeable: just keep replacing motherboards. But that is not what I assume you mean. Moore's Law held true until about two years ago. Processing power has doubled every year since 1965. The only way that could happen was if everything changed...sockets, memory types, processor types. Changing everything frequently to keep hardware improving is the enemy of continual upgrades to older hardware. Eventually you reach the peak of the platform. Otherwise we would all still be using laptops from 1995 with 7th generation Intel Core processors.

HP Recommended

Dear Provost, thank you for your reply. There is merit in using a 1995 laptop with the latest processor.

By continuously upgradable, I mean that each component should be upgradable.

Is the answer to buy a deskktop as you suggest, or to build my own from separate components?

HP Recommended

I always build my own desktops. Motherboards continue to be sold in the ATX form factor and there are enclosures (cases) that can accept multiple motherboard form factors. Commercial desktops (e.g. HP) can often accept a third party motherboard for later upgrade, but not always. 

In 1995 laptops had 640 x 480 screens, weighed 11 pounds and used NiCad batteries with "memory effect". And they cost $2500. I know as I collect vintage laptops. Nothing you would want to try to use now. If you want to have decent hardware to use at all times there is no substitute for buying smart, but you also have to know when to buy again. 

HP Recommended

I have custom-built all my own desktops for decades -- primarily to maximize the opportunity to do hardware upgrades to keep it working long after the typical 2-3 years that companies want you to upgrade to a new PC.

But even then, "continual upgrades" are going to END when the technology advances to the point that even an add-on card will not work.

An example of this is an old (now) motherboard I had simply had PCI slots.  That seriously limits the throughput of SATA drives, and nothing you do with that motherboard is going to allow you to effectively use the latest SATA drives because the bus simply can't provide the speeds.  If you check, you will see that SATA controller cards for that motherboard are limited at 1.5Gbits/sec.  

So, eventually, any motherboard is going to bump up against a problem when a very new technology is simply not going to be available for that motherboard.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your insight.

HP Recommended

thanks. where can I find help for building my own computer? I am a novice at this.

HP Recommended

Go to the website for Maximum PC magazine. They have archived articles showing step by step how to assemble a computer and then reviews on parts. First thing to establish is your budget. If I know your budget I can give advice on components to give the best bang for the buck. Smart thing is to stretch the purchase out over 60 days or so and buy one thing at a time as things go on sale. It is never the case that everything is on sale all at the same time. If you live near a Frys Electronics you can buy in a store but otherwise amazon.com and newegg.com are very reliable places to buy stuff and have it delivered. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

Dear Provost, I will look it up. If you know how to build your own, there could be a business opportunity there.

HP Recommended

Building your own is largely for satisfaction. You cannot compete in price with companies like HP that buy parts in massive bulk, for the sale of everyday computers that most people want. I do occasionally build a gaming rig for a friend or relative, however. You can compete with the companies that sell gaming computers since there is some profit there. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.