Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Looking for a new notebook. Cannot easily tell from the usual descriptions which have a trackpoint pointing device. A list of models or model families would be very helpful.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am not sure any HP laptops still have a trackpoint. All Lenovo Thinkpads still have them. There is virtually no consumer demand for trackpoints, a huge majority prefers the touchpad. I still use the trackpoint on my Thinkpad, but also use the touchpad.

HP Recommended

Machines, which I`m aware of, that currently offer trackpoints are:
All EliteBooks; ProBook 6450b, 6455b & 6550b.
All known ThinkPads (not IdeaPads).
NEC EasyNote MX45, MX65, S5.
Fujitsu Lifebook T2020, P1630, P2120, S7220, E8420, U820/U2010.
Dell Latitude E4200, E4310, E6410, E6420 and E6510; Precision M4500 and M6500.
Toshiba Tecra R840, R850, M11, A11 (optional).
Acer TravelMate C200, C210, 6410, 6460, 6492, 6492G, 6592, 6592G, 6593.

Machines, which I`m aware of, that were peviously equipped with trackpoints are:
All HP EliteBooks; all models ending with p or w; all models starting with nc or nw; 6445b (optional), 6545b (optional), tc4200, tc4400.
Sony Vaio P series, BX series, C1 series, U8 series, UX series.
Dell Latitude E6500, E6400, D430, D600, D630, D830, XT, E4300, E5400, E5410, E6400, E6510, E6400 ATG, E6500; Precision M2300, M2400, M4300, M4400, M6400; Inspiron 4000, 8100, 8200, 8600, 9100; L.
Toshiba Portege 3490CT, Tecra A7, A8, A9, A10, M2, M5, M9, M10, S Series; Satellite Pro 4000 Series, 410 Series.

Please add any machines that I missed. I`m addicted to the trackpoint , they are the greatest thing to happen to the keyboard since keys. Seripously though,  I`m always interested in notebooks that offer this input device.

HP Recommended

@deadzoo

Thank you very much! I'm currently looking for a new laptop (my ThinkPad X200T has done pretty much for me) and I'm also addicted to the trackpoint 🙂

Off: Seems like we're the "virtually no consumer demand" 😉

HP Recommended

Realize this is an old thread-  but my son-in-law had a  fairly  new (w/in a year) HP laptop here last night - it had a very usable trackpoint-type device.    Which is great because I thought I'd be married to Lenovo for the rest of my days b/c of the trackpoint. 

I can't use anything BUT a trackpoint -  and I can use it for very detailed work -  CAD, Graphic design, etc. just like a mouse.   A trackpad is crazy (IMO- I realize people love them) - requires both hands and you can't touch-type while using it - so it's not for me.  And I don't like to cart a mouse around.   If the trackpoints all went away tomorrow - that's what I'd have to do.. I'd deal with the trackpad while on a plane or somethng,  but use a bluetooth mouse for everything else.

So anyway - kudos to HP for including a trackpoint - I think there is considerably more than "virtually no" consumer demand for the device.  And unless someone has actual stats on consumer demand available (doubtful) - assertions like that are nothing more than unsupported hyperbole.    I think many consumers have put up with the lack of a trackpoint simply because it was abandoned by the manufacturer they like - and those consumers didn't want to switch to Lenovo.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.