Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-g052ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I own this laptop and I would like to upgrade to a Wifi ac 2x2 card. From the manual I can see this series also comes with ac  as an option being the Intel 3160 card http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655126 (pdf page 10) so this should theorically work 100%.

I was also thiking of a better card like the AzureWave AW-CE123H or Intel 7260... I'm aware of HP being famous for having whitelists for wifi cards and at the same time that newers models form the last years don't have those limits anymore.

Does anyone has more info about my compatibility? 

I read of a guy online who upgraded a Envy 4-1117nr with a AzureWave AW-CE123H which is not actually listed of the "supported" list here http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03599931

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For systems without a whitelist (manufactured roughly since 4th Quarter 2013) you can install any wi-fi card of the same form factor (for example half-height mini-pcie) and provided you have sufficient antenna. If you try to install a 3 antenna card into a 2 antenna system you will not be happy with the results. Stringing a new antenna is very difficult. 

See p. 38 of the Service Manual here. 

Manual

Some models need the top cover removed to get at the wifi. On yours you remove the bottom cover which is much easier. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

For systems without a whitelist (manufactured roughly since 4th Quarter 2013) you can install any wi-fi card of the same form factor (for example half-height mini-pcie) and provided you have sufficient antenna. If you try to install a 3 antenna card into a 2 antenna system you will not be happy with the results. Stringing a new antenna is very difficult. 

See p. 38 of the Service Manual here. 

Manual

Some models need the top cover removed to get at the wifi. On yours you remove the bottom cover which is much easier. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer and the good news!

I'm defintely going to get one as soon as possible, the one I wanna add is a 2 antenna card so no problem.

I will report back 😉

HP Recommended

Hello,

I upgraded to the Intel card i mentioned above which is 2x2 however on this laptop I only found a single antenna wire connected to the old wifi module I replaced, I haven't noticed any improvement in signal strenght which is sad since my 7y laptop and smartphone get better signal, here I can't even connect sometimes.

I was wondering if (1) the laptop has secondary wire hidden somewhere to improve reception since the manual shows that and use the 2x2 tech and if (2) I can add a secondary if not available or at least improve the reception with the single antenna setup. I'm not sure if it's design problem of this laptop that causes this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.