Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-ba021nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I am really happy with my purchase.I just want to know that if i open my laptop's panel (it is as i see a single big panel with 10 screws (picture)) and add an ssd as secondary storage,will i void my warranty? (also if i open it for cleaning dust after months)

If this doesn't void my warranty,is there anyway to learn if there are any hidden screws or something tricky about opening this certain laptop?

Back Plate.jpg

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You would have to take it to a service center. HP is not going to have you ship it to them to do an upgrade. And HP will not install 3rd party parts in any event so upgrades done by HP will cost a multiple of what it should cost. They are not in the upgrade business, they are in the laptop sale business.

The laptop does not need a dust cleaning until after the 1 year warranty is over, more than likely. But you are pointing out some of the issues with this new "closed system" laptop world. Personally, I just install what I feel like installing and the heck with the warranty but not everybody is quite so reckless. In point of fact, if you do the upgrade right without damaging the laptop, HP probably (emphasize probably) will not yank the warranty but I am unable to promise anything on their behalf. 

Give it a day or so for the manuals to reappear on the support pages. The other thing you have to worry about is if you are trying to add an M.2 mSSD drive in some cases that are not completely understood or defined, HP has disabled the ports. And if the laptop has an M.2 from the factory, even if there is a place for a 2.5 inch SATA SSD the laptop will not have the necessary caddy and cable inside. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You open it at your risk. HP may not honor the warranty if you do. Right now the manuals are not accessible but likely back up online by Monday. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying.

So the only way is to send it to HP if want to add a secondary storage so an official HP technician can do it? (also about the dust thing?)

HP Recommended

You would have to take it to a service center. HP is not going to have you ship it to them to do an upgrade. And HP will not install 3rd party parts in any event so upgrades done by HP will cost a multiple of what it should cost. They are not in the upgrade business, they are in the laptop sale business.

The laptop does not need a dust cleaning until after the 1 year warranty is over, more than likely. But you are pointing out some of the issues with this new "closed system" laptop world. Personally, I just install what I feel like installing and the heck with the warranty but not everybody is quite so reckless. In point of fact, if you do the upgrade right without damaging the laptop, HP probably (emphasize probably) will not yank the warranty but I am unable to promise anything on their behalf. 

Give it a day or so for the manuals to reappear on the support pages. The other thing you have to worry about is if you are trying to add an M.2 mSSD drive in some cases that are not completely understood or defined, HP has disabled the ports. And if the laptop has an M.2 from the factory, even if there is a place for a 2.5 inch SATA SSD the laptop will not have the necessary caddy and cable inside. 

HP Recommended

That was a really detailed reply 🙂

The way i usually work on laptops is your way (dump the warranty,install what you want) but i will need it for the university and i want to be sure that if something goes wrong,i will have it repaired or replaced and continue my business.

I have a 9 year experience on technical and software issues so i think i will be able to upgrade it without damaging but as you say,if there is only a dummy sata port inside (i want an 2.5 ssd with sata connection) i should see the manual first and probably rethink it.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Manual

See pages 51 and 56. Yours is the model where there is one hard drive bay and either an M.2 mSSD or 2.5 inch SATA hard drive or SSD can be adapted to the single SATA header so you cannot have an M.2 mSSD and a 2.5 inch drive. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.