Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I first want to say that I really do appreciate your considerate efforts, Paul...but I'm now ready to concede failure and resign myself to W8.1.

Over on http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/win-10-will-not-boot-up-with-acti... I was pointed toward a very promising site
http://www.win-raid.com/t15f37-NVIDIA-Optimized-nForce-Driverpacks-for-Vista-Win.html
which seemed ideally-suited to getting folks like me across this finish line, and apparently others succeeded including reports of success with the "GeForce 6150 LE" at http://ivanrf.com/en/nvidia-compatibility-issue-with-windows-10/, but alas not me, no matter what I tried.

Incidentally, as a test/experiment a couple days ago I installed 8.1 (which took all day since my W8 key was a upgrade key, so I needed to start with an XP install) and it gave me the message (other users report) that the computer won't support W10 (because NVIDIA didn't provide drivers for the GeForce 6150 LE "display").  I now wish it had said that a month ago; instead it the said the computer would support W10 when it offered  it to me, and (thank you so very much for all the help and all the time spend by many people including Paul) I devoted all the time I could for a full month to installing W10 for a month.  Frustrating.

In case it might benefit someone, here are some notes on what I used to get W10 installed (though ultimately much of my hardware never got working as elaborated on over at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/win-10-will-not-boot-up-with-acti...😞

I put the ODD on IDE2 on cable's Primary connector.
I put the HDD on IDE1 on a second cable's Primary connector.
Deleted Partition then Installed on "Drive 0 Unallocated Space".

Compaq SR1913WM 3.11 BIOS | Advanced Tab (looked like this):

Plug and Play OS:  Yes

Primary Video Adapter:  Onboard

PS/2 Mouse:  Disabled (since I have no PS/2 mouse; I would've enabled this had I had one; as it was I used a lot of shortcuts on my PS/2 keyboard).

USB Legacy Mode Support:  Disabled (W10 wouldn't install with it enabled)

Onboard LAN:  I tried both Enabled and Disabled, both got W10 installed

Onboard LAN Boot ROM:  Disabled

Local Bus IDE Adapter:  Both

SATA1/SATA2 Controller:  Disabled (if I enabled either, W10 would neither install nor work)(With XP, Win8, and Win8.1 it was the opposite: none would install unless I Enabled a SATA Controller.)

Onboard Audio: Disabled (though perhaps coulda installed W10 with it enabled)

CPU Temp 59C/138F
CPU Fan Speed 1972 RPM
System Fan Speed 1386 RPM

HP Recommended

That is really unfortunate, since many other folks were able to install W10 on that chipset by following these instructions...you make the DVD, run from the windows desktop, skip the check for updates and install the applicable graphics driver listed.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/NVIDIA-GeForce-6150SE-nForce-430-chipse...

I know you have already done that but now that you did a fresh install, maybe you will want to give it another shot.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

That is really unfortunate, since many other folks were able to install W10 on that chipset by following these instructions...you make the DVD, run from the windows desktop, skip the check for updates and install the applicable graphics driver listed.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/NVIDIA-GeForce-6150SE-nForce-430-chipse...

I know you have already done that but now that you did a fresh install, maybe you will want to give it another shot.

I should've tried that.  I guess I was diverted by the to-me new Microsoft msg that the PC couldn't run W10.

I no longer have that 14-hour fresh 8.1 install; I've spend several days since testing more W10 installs on that HDD.  Who knows, maybe it woulda worked on a fresh install from the desktop.  I know I don't have time before tomorrow's deadline expires to try it again, but perhaps I will do another 14-hour fresh install just to try it.

Wait I do still have the W8.1 OS it originally failed on on another HDD; but I'm assuming it would still give the the exact same results as it did before, namely:

...from the DVD-R...in the OS, [it failed] either:
1.  "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."
(If I opt to "Keep my files")  or,
2.  "There was a problem resetting your PC."
(If I opt to "Remove everything")

I might be able to make time to attach that HDD and watch that happen again.  Hmm, I wonder if W8.1 would boot on the IDE cable.

HP Recommended

Oh wait, Paul, I think I see, and have time for, what you're saying!

As soon as I upgrade (from another fresh XP install) to the W8.0 desktop, then (without spending time to update anything including W8.1), shall I:

1.  (Are you saying I should "install the applicable graphics driver listed" in that thread on W8.0, or after I finishing installing the W10 OS in the W10 OS?)
2.  Run the W10 DVD from the desktop. to install it via one of the options.

If I don't hear first I'll "install the applicable graphics driver listed" both on W8.0 and on W10 (assuming I make it that far).

HP Recommended

If you install W8 you can go to W10 without doing any updates if you run the DVD and it bypasses any hardware checks as long as you select the skip check for updates before installing option.

Then you install the graphics driver after W10 is installed.

You can install it on W8 too, but I don't think it will carry over.  But it won't hurt to do it either way.

HP Recommended

A bit more progress but still ulimately failed.

(First I clean-installed XP.  Activated it.  Upgrade DVD to W8.0.  Was already activated.  Ran the graphics driver install.  From inside W8.0 I ran the W10 update DVD, skipping check for updates.  This time...)

W10 installer ran AOK, but on the first reboot (whether I selected Keep stuff or Keep Nothing), after reboot it crashed to a "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.  We'll restart it for you" screen.  When it restarted (back into W8.0) each time I got this msg:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/rmJYiXS.jpg[/img]

I tried some googling, and the "solutions" were all over the map.  Some pointed at hardware (I've done, and am expert at, every kind of hardware diagnostic, and they all pass perfectly).  Some were  super complicated and I just didn't have time left today to try them.

I then tried attaching the (brand new, BTW) HDD via IDE and disabling the SATA ports.  The OS got erratic.  For awhile it was in a reboot loop never making it into Win8.0.  The times it did make it into W8.0 it was unstable and I could get it to run the W10 Install DVD before it crashed.

In a half hour I'll be away from the PC until tomorrow, so I'm afraid I really failed.

HP Recommended

Sorry that your latest attempts to install W10 were not successful.

You can't say you didn't give it your best shot!

You will never have to say 'I wonder if...'  You tried every trick in the book.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Paul, you're the best!!

HP Recommended

Anytime!

And you are one heck of a fighter!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.