Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 -f053 notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been working with Case Managers with a serious problem with Windows 10 updates. I found out there are serious problems. Check out this Forum on Microsoft communtiy pages:  

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=Windows+10+sign+in+disappeared+after+up...

Microsft needs to address this and HP needs to keep on top of them to do so. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is an issue with Windows 10 update.  After 5 trys with HP support techs, I finally sent a fax to Microsoft to let them know what their latest update has caused.  I am not the only one in their community with this problem.  

The tech found out that I can't have third party security because Microsoft has Windows Defender and it conflicts with my McAfee software. He told me I don't need another program because Defender has all I need and it conflicts with other software security.  So, Now I have loaded up my other software and it's working!  

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

When I clicked your hyperlink, the search produced about 400 results ?!

So, to which one were you referring?

HP Recommended

This is an issue with Windows 10 update.  After 5 trys with HP support techs, I finally sent a fax to Microsoft to let them know what their latest update has caused.  I am not the only one in their community with this problem.  

The tech found out that I can't have third party security because Microsoft has Windows Defender and it conflicts with my McAfee software. He told me I don't need another program because Defender has all I need and it conflicts with other software security.  So, Now I have loaded up my other software and it's working!  

HP Recommended

Here is his email    

Hello Sue,

This is Darshan. I am glad we were able to address your concerns with Windows 10. Here is a summary of the key points of the case for your records:

1. Installed Office 2007 and activated the software.

2. Installed google chrome.

3. Windows Defender is protecting the Machine and no need of any third party security

Software.

At this time, we will be archiving this service request. However, please feel free to contact us at http://support.microsoft.com if you have any other questions or concerns.

HP Recommended

I think that was just a refrerence to show how many people have posted about this problem. I believe mine has been resolved after I contacted Microsoft to let them know that there is a glitch with their software. Turns out with Windows 10 including Windows defender with their updates can be conflicting with third party antivirus or hacking software.  Windows defender provides this security and is part of the system so can't be removed.  However if you install a third party software it will cause the log in window to disappear.

HP Recommended

> Windows defender provides this security and is part of the system so can't be removed.

Correct.  The system files comprising that software cannot be deleted.

However, Windows Defender can be "disabled", so that third-party anti-virus (or "internet security") software can be installed, without any issues.

Imagine the "anti-trust" law-suit that would be filed if *NO* computer running Windows 10 would allow the installation of commercial anti-virus software !   Ouch!

> However if you install a third party software it will cause the log in window to disappear.

I disagree.  That's a separate setting within Windows, to enable/disable "auto-logon".

HP Recommended

I have to say that I would do a clean install when recovering my Windows 10. I did not installl the McAfee until I had installed some of my other software.  I was able to log in and out.  However after installing the McAfee my log in window would no longer show up.  After 5 times of recovering my Windows 10 and each time having this problem after installing McAfee and then having a tech from Microsoft work through it with me and not install the McAfee, there was no problem signing in.  I paid for McAfee for several months use so believe me it doesn't please me to not be able to use it but after that frustrating experiece five time, I am not going to install it again.  I am happily using my Windows 10 now. 

HP Recommended
Had that very thought as I started to read this thread and with that I saw your post. Great minds...
HP Recommended

It really disturbed me that I could no longer use the McAfee anti virius after the Windows update.  While the Windows defender protects against virsuses, McAfee has other tools including cleaning files. I hate it that I paid for this and cannot use it.  

HP Recommended

> It really disturbed me that I could no longer use the McAfee anti-virus after the Windows update.  

Have you checked the McAfee web-site?

If you are not the only person to have the same symptoms, McAfee should have acknowledged the problem, and should have fixed their software to be compatible with the latest set of Windows updates.

At least, they should, if they want to stay in business!  :indifferent:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.