Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY 15T-AE100
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

I want to connect my laptop to a docking station.  

The seller sugest me a Wireless docking.  I trusted on him and did no checked compatibility by  my-self.

I spent USD 300 in a Wireless docking... then I realized that my laptop do not have a Wigig compatible card.

At present my laptop has the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 NGW 802.11 ac and according to intel web page, I need a 

Intel Triband Wireless AC 18265.

I would like to know if my laptop HP envy 15 can support Intel WiGig technology?

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @PPBog, Thanks for the reply.

No, you cannot replace the wireless card with wigig capability.

Let me know if you have any other query!

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi! @PPBog, Thank you for joining the HP Forums!

I understand that you need to know whether your laptop can support Intel WiGig technology.

I have gone through the specifications of your laptop and found that your laptop does not support WiGig technology.

Please find the list of wireless cards supported by your laptop below.

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter 792608-005
Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter 784644-005
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (non vPRO) 793840-005
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter 806723-005

Please refer the maintenance and service guide for your laptop using the link: http://hp.care/2d9PGWK

Hope to hear from you soon! 🙂

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Chetan, thank you for your e-mail.

If I understood properly, I cannot replace my wireless card by one with wigig capability.

Could you please confirm.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi! @PPBog, Thanks for the reply.

No, you cannot replace the wireless card with wigig capability.

Let me know if you have any other query!

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Chetan,

Thank you for your help.

Could you please give an advice regarding the best docking for my laptop ?

Thank you in advance,

Jose

HP Recommended

You could install the Tri-Band GigaWi-Fi card as long as the socket will support it and you have 3 antennae, which you likely do not. For HP consumer laptops there are no docks. You would have to use a USB 3.0 or USB-C (if you have that port) port replicator. Post back if that is confusing. 

HP Recommended

PPBog,   The computer will not support wigig technology

Regards,

Ashok

Ashok ... HP..always working
HP Recommended

On what basis do you say that? It is simply an M.2 add-in device and if it fits in the slot and not blocked by BIOS (no whitelist on this machine) and you have the needed 3 antennae, it will work. 

HP Recommended

i think i made a mistake in giving the reply.  You are right Huffer.. It is compatible. 

Ashok ... HP..always working
HP Recommended

The downside as I understand it is the WiGig card does not support regular wireless so if you put that card in your laptop you can have network connection at home through the dock but if you take it outside the home it will not connect to standard wifi. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.