Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
T7V51EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I would like to know which model of Zbook G3 15 has MXM slot for GPU upgrade.
I am in Italy and I am looking for this product code: T7V51EA with FirePro w5710m GPU. Is this one having MXM?

Which codes of laptops have MXM slot (15" laptop)?

Thanks for help guys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have more than one product there. The Zbook 15 Studio G3 is a different laptop, as is the 15U. The 15U does not have an MXM slot, and neither does the Studio model. In both those cases, the video is soldered to the motherboard. The Zbook 15 G3 Mobile workstation models all have an MXM slot and the ones you list include an MXM video card. You cannot assume that you can replace and upgrade the video card with anything other than an official HP part. MXM video cards are not as "standard" as desktop cards. Also the nVidia Quadro and AMD Firepro cards use a different heatsink.  

I can personally verifiy the configuration of the Zbook G3 Mobile workstation as I have one and have actually installed an MXM video card in it and I found the Manual on the 15U and Studio and nether shows an MXM slot. Post back for any more information you may need. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

They all (Zbook 15 G3) have an MXM slot. HP provided me an Energy Star version as a loaner for my work here without a dedicated graphics card but the slot is there. HP price for the video card and heatsink (you need both) is about $1500. I found a Quadro M2000M and heatsink on eBay for $400 and installed it. Plug and Play. It did take some adjustments in the BIOS. 

Zbook 15 G3 Service manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Very well... but if you have a look on italian official website I have:

- Zbook 15U G3;
- Zbook 15 Studio G3;
- Zbook 15 G3 Mobile workstation (with AMD FirePro w5710)
- Zbook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation (with Quadro m2000m)

Have all of them MXM slot? I am very confused and I would like to spend my money in the right product 🙂

HP Recommended

You have more than one product there. The Zbook 15 Studio G3 is a different laptop, as is the 15U. The 15U does not have an MXM slot, and neither does the Studio model. In both those cases, the video is soldered to the motherboard. The Zbook 15 G3 Mobile workstation models all have an MXM slot and the ones you list include an MXM video card. You cannot assume that you can replace and upgrade the video card with anything other than an official HP part. MXM video cards are not as "standard" as desktop cards. Also the nVidia Quadro and AMD Firepro cards use a different heatsink.  

I can personally verifiy the configuration of the Zbook G3 Mobile workstation as I have one and have actually installed an MXM video card in it and I found the Manual on the 15U and Studio and nether shows an MXM slot. Post back for any more information you may need. 

HP Recommended

I have been checking the PDF you posted and I am not sure 100%, but heatsink for Quadro and AMD (I am talking about official HP products) is the same.

ZbookG315_1.png

Component 16 - For soldered version ???
Component 17 - For MXM use! 😄

ZbookG315_3.png

As a matter of fact, in the list you may use it for Quadro and AMD...

Ok... after this... can you hire me working at HP? 😄

Jokes aside, I am going dedefinitely with AMD configuration, because here in Italy it costs much less than Quadro version (found one for 1140€), then if I won't be happy with it, I would swap the GPU.

Thank you for help

HP Recommended

No you are not reading it right I am sorry to say:

Heat sink for use only in models with Nvidia Quadro graphics boards 850148-001

Heat sink for use only in models with the AMD FirePro graphics board 850149-001

Heat sink for use only in models with UMA graphics memory 850150-001

3 different heatsinks...one for integrated Intel 520 only, one for AMD and one for nVIDIA MXM cards. 

Just like I said. I get it right and HP does not hire me. I am a volunteer end user. I think the AMD Firepro and the Quadro M2000M are very similar in performance so you are right to go by cost and if you are interested I am still in touch with the guy I bought my video card from. He bought a whole bunch of these off HP with defective motherboards so he has all the other parts except screens. As I said I got the M2000M for $400 with the heatsink although I think he charges a bit more for them now. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-Quadro-M2000M-N16P-Q3-A2-4GB-GDDR5-MXM-A-3-0-GM107-Mobile-Workstation...

HP Recommended

Thanks for help 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi HP Expert.

Looking at getting a Xeon based ZBook 15 G3  -  T7V56ET#ABU. It has on-board (integrated) Intel graphics.

Don't need a discrete graphics card right now, but really want the capacity to add one later. I need to know if MXM slot is on this machine. 

I ask the question because if it's not on the i7...u models, then possibly it's not on this one either. Don't want to make a bad buying decision.

HP and various resellers seem unable to answer this question.

Many thanks for your help. 

HP Recommended

All the Zbook 15 G3 Mobile workstations (not Studio) have an MXM slot. Mine is an i7 Energy Star model that did not come with an MXM card but the slot was there and I did the upgrade. HP also could not tell me before I did it whether it would work. It works. 

HP Recommended

Does the heatsink come with every zbook 15 G3  (not 15u and not studio) or do I have to buy it when I buy an mxm daugher card?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.