Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've just started using a HP ZBook G3 studio with the HP ZBook Thunderbolt™ 3 Dock. I have the dock connected to 2 display port monitors (and the spec suggests it should be able to drive 5), mouse, keyboard, ethernet and my headphones. The dock's specification suggests the ambient operating temperature should be within 0° to 35° C, which is the case. However the dock is very hot to the touch, I've casually placed a murcury style thermometer on it for a few minutes (the case prevents the glass from touching the dock itself) and it's getting to the maximum reading of 41° C. The high temperature area on the dock seems to be located primarily where the power supply connects.

Is this normal? Everything appears to be working OK now, although I did have a bluescreen caused by the USB drivers.

Thanks,

Alex.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AlexMcLellan

Ideas

The only Alert I have on hand for the Thunderbolt is the Alert dated 16-Jun-2016 regarding the G3 not detecting the dock.

Advisory: HP ZBook G3 Mobile Workstation - May Not Detect HP ZBook Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Edits

Added HP Alerts

Critical Customer Advisory - Sep 26 2017
Advisory: HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt 3 - ZBook Mobile Workstation May Not Detect Dock (c05738894...
Products: HP Mobile Workstation
Description: Advisory: HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt 3 - ZBook Mobile Workstation May Not Detect Dock
Critical Customer Advisory - Sep 22 2017
Advisory: ZBook G3 and G4 Mobile Workstations - WOL May Not Work With HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt...
Products: HP Mobile Workstation, Docking Stations
Description: Advisory: ZBook G3 and G4 Mobile Workstations - WOL May Not Work With HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt 3
Advisory: ZBook G3 Mobile Workstation - ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller (XHCI) Driver May Not Be ...
Products: HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation, HP ZBook Studio G3 Mobile Workstation, HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation
Description: If an HP ZBook G3 workstation is configured with an HP ZBook Dock with Thunderbolt 3, the system may have errors when installing ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller (xHCI) Driver in Windows 7 Operating System.
Critical Security Bulletin - Aug 22 2017
HPSBHF03560 rev 1 - Possible Elevation of Privilege and Information Disclosure via Intel® Software G...
Products: Laptops and Hybrids, Desktops & Workstations, Point of Sale Systems
Description: HPSBHF03560 rev 1 - Possible Elevation of Privilege and Information Disclosure via Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX) Vulnerability

Edits - Added How-to / Troubleshooting Document:

HP Elite Dock with Thunderbolt 3 and HP ZBook Dock with Thunderbolt 3 - Using and Troubleshooting th...

What happens if you raise the dock up from the worksurface a bit, say place it on a "trivet" that provides for more air circulation all around the device?

If all else fails, you might check the outlet into which the dock is plugged -- check for voltage spike / higher than normal voltage reading.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@AlexMcLellan

Ideas

The only Alert I have on hand for the Thunderbolt is the Alert dated 16-Jun-2016 regarding the G3 not detecting the dock.

Advisory: HP ZBook G3 Mobile Workstation - May Not Detect HP ZBook Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Edits

Added HP Alerts

Advisory: HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt 3 - ZBook Mobile Workstation May Not Detect Dock (c05738894...
Products: HP Mobile Workstation
Description: Advisory: HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt 3 - ZBook Mobile Workstation May Not Detect Dock
Critical Customer Advisory - Sep 22 2017
Advisory: ZBook G3 and G4 Mobile Workstations - WOL May Not Work With HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt...
Products: HP Mobile Workstation, Docking Stations
Description: Advisory: ZBook G3 and G4 Mobile Workstations - WOL May Not Work With HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt 3
Advisory: ZBook G3 Mobile Workstation - ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller (XHCI) Driver May Not Be ...
Products: HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation, HP ZBook Studio G3 Mobile Workstation, HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation
Description: If an HP ZBook G3 workstation is configured with an HP ZBook Dock with Thunderbolt 3, the system may have errors when installing ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller (xHCI) Driver in Windows 7 Operating System.
Critical Security Bulletin - Aug 22 2017
HPSBHF03560 rev 1 - Possible Elevation of Privilege and Information Disclosure via Intel® Software G...
Products: Laptops and Hybrids, Desktops & Workstations, Point of Sale Systems
Description: HPSBHF03560 rev 1 - Possible Elevation of Privilege and Information Disclosure via Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX) Vulnerability

Edits - Added How-to / Troubleshooting Document:

HP Elite Dock with Thunderbolt 3 and HP ZBook Dock with Thunderbolt 3 - Using and Troubleshooting th...

What happens if you raise the dock up from the worksurface a bit, say place it on a "trivet" that provides for more air circulation all around the device?

If all else fails, you might check the outlet into which the dock is plugged -- check for voltage spike / higher than normal voltage reading.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dock for Zbook 15 G3 also running hot. Plenty of room around all sides of the dock. Updated all drivers the dock instructions listed including graphics drivers. Only items plugged in are:

1. Display Ports (x2) plugged into HP E233 Monitors - 23" 1920x1080
  2. Ethernet
  3. Power adapter
  4. Thunderbolt / Power combo cord to notebook

Great pro advice on how to cool. What is official take on whether heat is normal? Thank you.

ZBook Dock has ample air flowZBook Dock has ample air flow

HP Recommended

@SushiGuy1

Commentary

How-to / Troubleshooting:

Open Section Features and Specifications > Operating Environment

The information provides the environment in which the dock can safely be used -- no mention of "how hot is too hot" for the device itself.  (I might have missed something...)

Were it me, I might try the "raise up and pray" method -- place the device on a slightly raised surface that allows air circulation all around the dock.  (Heat proof mesh trivet, maybe two inches or more above the work surface.)

IF you are using a power strip anywhere in the mix, make sure the strip and the power cord are of a heavier gauge (perhaps 14 gauge as opposed to the standard 12 gauge used on smaller devices).  Yes, I know, "never use a power strip" is the general / recommended advice -- not all of us can (or can choose to) plug everything into a wall socket.

Check my previous post -- I have updated it with the latest HP Alerts that may be relevant to operating the dock and peripherals.  Does software / firmware affect heat?  Maybe...

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have basically, the same setup as @SushiGuy1, in terms of connections, I haven't had any issues recently.

I ended up cable-tieing the dock to the back of my metal monitor stand, I presume the metal helps to disapate the heat. I can post a picture if you're interested. 

I also installed all of the firmware updates for the dock.

HP Recommended

Checked a coworker's dock @AlexMcLellan and @Dragon-fur and it was warm as well. Maybe we can assume it is normal.

Will no longer worry about the heat. Thanks for the input!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.