Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

HP dv6-6033cl powers down but then restarts in 4 sec by itself.

The laptop boots just fine into win 7.

After selecting ShutDown from the win 7 start menu and the power

LED goes out my dv6-6033cl powers back up by itself in 4 sec.

I have done a complete reset, removed all power sources

and held the power button for 60 sec. Same problem.

I ran all the diagnostics from the F2 menu and they all passed.

I have disabled the " Disable automatic restart on system failure option" from the F8 option menu, After

letting it boot into win 7 then selecting ShutDown from the win 7 start menu and the power

LED goes out my laptop powers back up by itself in 4 sec

I have removed the HD and powered up the laptop, after receiving error no

HD present I powered down and the pc powered up by itself in 4 seconds.

I downloaded the bios and re-flashed the bios, still same problem.

I pressed the power button to power up the laptop and immediately removed the keyboard

cable, after win 7 came up I powered down the laptop using the mouse and selecting ShutDown from the win 7 start menu, same problem.

I removed the cable for the touch pad, powered up the laptop. After

selecting ShutDown from the win 7 start menu and the power

LED goes out my laptop powers back up by itself in 4 sec

I told the bios to reset to factory defaults, same problem

This laptop has the bios Insyde version f.13, 4/25/2011

System board   PBWQK03HT0E05R

Win 7 64-bit Home Premium

What is telling the laptop to power up?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @devitojj 

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that when you power off your notebook it automatically restarts in 4 seconds.

You have tried several steps to try and resolve this but there is no change.

As it repeated the behavior with the hard drive removed, you know it is not an issue with Windows.

You have tried updating the bios and returning it to bios defaults but no change.

Here is a link from answers.microsoft.com that helped other people with this issue.

Windows 7 computer restarts automatically after shutdown

This does suggest you edit your registry which does have the potential to cause issues, so be very careful.  I would also suggest backing up your registry before you attempt it, just in case.

Back up the registry  from Windows.microsoft.com

If that has not helped, I would try removing the Cmos or RTC battery for 30 seconds and then replacing it.

Please let me know if this helped.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
Thanks for helping out.
I tried bother the registry change and the rtc. battery.
Same result, will not power down and stay down.
If i hold the power button in for 15 sec or so during. is boot it will shut off and stay off
HP Recommended
Sorry it should state both above not bother
HP Recommended

Hi devitojj,

I regret that my previous suggestions did not help.

Does it restart if you are just running on battery power and not AC , or with AC only and no battery installed?

If it does not auto restart on just battery power, I would try a different adapter.

Although I do not think it is software, you can try this.Change what happens when you press the power button on your computer.

You could try leaving the RTC battery out for about 24 hours, just to be sure the capacitors have fully drained.

You can try a full recovery again and if that does not work, I can only suggest contacting HP support for assistance.

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7)

As you probably know as you have done one previously, you will receive an option to backup your personal files during this process.

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7)

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region Technical Support Sitemap .

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem.  Running windows 7 professional on my HP Envy 15 notebook pc.  I did change he default settinging, (under advanced system settings for star up and recovery I unchecked the "automatic restar for system failure button as suggested).  It didn't help.  I'm not tech savvy and afraid to do anything to the registry or make other changes to the computer I don't understand.

I shut down my laptop using the start/shut-down option.  The laptop shuts down, the power button light goes off and about one second later I hear it boot up, the power light comes back on and it's welcome to windows.  It's really frustrating because the laptop battery fully drains when it's not plugged in to a power source.......  I'll be taking it in to some professionals in a few weeks and will post my findings here.  In the meantime, ill check back periodically to see if anyone has come up with a solution..

HP Recommended

@BoundlessJoy

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion dv6-6033cl Entertainment Notebook PC and it restarts after you shut it down. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know if any changes (hardware or software) took place on the laptop after which this issue may have started. Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

I the issue still persists then please perform the steps mentioned in detail from this link: http://hp.care/2bPH5Hg

Feel free to let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Not sure why this works but it worked ..... mostly.  If I shut down using the start menu/shut down the computer will start back up, but now, after following your instructions, if I press and hold the power button for 10 to 15 seconds it goes off and STAYS off!

Thank you 😉

HP Recommended

My laptop hp probook 4540s has same problem all steps are taken but not result found. Lastly i give my laptop to mechanic for solving this problem. the mechanic give 5 days in my laptop lastly says problem not solved. he update the bios and check the hardware but all hardware are working properly but problem not solved.

i turn off my laptop by pressing power button.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.