Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
compaq 610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

can i upgrade compaq 610 up to 8gb ddr2 pc6400 ram? (2x4gb)

i read this

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Compaq-610-upgrade/td-p/2416015

and some poeple say that i can , some say i cant

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @rob4twoo,

Manaul : http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3958407&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

Please go through Page - 1–2 and 1–3 for better understanding. 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hp specifies that the max. RAM is 4GB with the chipset GME 965 and PM 965. Also crucial gives the max at 4 GB.

Hope it helps

David

HP Recommended

Hi:

The Mobile Intel 965 GM and PM chipset supports 8 GB of memory.

I have a HP 6910p with the Mobile Intel 965 GM chipset and one with the 965 PM chipset and I have installed 2 x 4 GB of PC2-6400 memory in both and they work just fine with all 8 GB recognized in Windows.

There are some dv9500/dv9500 Intel models with the same chipset that will also take 2 x 4 GB of DDR2 memory.

I cannot personally vouch for the HP/Compaq 610 models.  While the chipset may support 8 GB, the BIOS may not.

Unless you already have the memory laying around, buying 2 x 4 GB of PC2-6400 memory would be too expensive to take a risk on.

The cheapest I have seen a 4 GB DDR2 chip is around $70 USD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.