Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ5500Y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Can my Compaq Presario CQ5500Y Desktop run Win 10 64bit.  I am loading the desktop for the first time. It originally came with Win 7 64 bit installed but the HDD was removed. I want to load Win 10 64 bit from scratch. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Even though HP doesn't supply official drivers for windows 10 for your PC, it will most definetly work. You can let Windows install the necessary drivers automatically the first time you start windows. You can also find individual drivers for the various devices by going to manufacturer website of the device, such as Nvidia for graphic, Reaktek for audio. However it isn't really necessary since Windows will install the necessary drivers.

When you have finished installing Win 10 and have installed all updates go into device manager (right-click on start and click on device manager) and see if any devices do not have drivers (yellow exclamation mark), which you can then look for.

Let me know if you need any further help,

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Even though HP doesn't supply official drivers for windows 10 for your PC, it will most definetly work. You can let Windows install the necessary drivers automatically the first time you start windows. You can also find individual drivers for the various devices by going to manufacturer website of the device, such as Nvidia for graphic, Reaktek for audio. However it isn't really necessary since Windows will install the necessary drivers.

When you have finished installing Win 10 and have installed all updates go into device manager (right-click on start and click on device manager) and see if any devices do not have drivers (yellow exclamation mark), which you can then look for.

Let me know if you need any further help,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response! It helps greatly!

HP Recommended

Your welcome,

David

Italy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.