Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavilion dv6401ca
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My pavilion dv6401ca original installed celeron M520 1.6GHz cpu.  Can I upgrade it to core2duo T7600 or T8300? I found the M520 socket is PPGA478 in outside web-site, so do cpu T7600 and T8300 can also be installed in it?  If, yes, what should I do after the cpu replaced?

Another question is : does it would lower down the efficiency of T8300 if I change the memory ram to  DDR2 PC2-5300 667M Hz? The T8300 FSB is rated 800 MHZ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As you have mentioned, the PC is 10 years old and the technology back then was slower compared to today's technology.

The DV series back then were art of technology units for that time period and was a fast PC.

When a motherboard or PC is designed, all the components like curcuit layout, fan, RAm, PCI cards, comonent holding components, display and thousands of more factors are taken into consideration. Each of these are set to ideal conditions and designed. Now for example, if you use a different processor the other components in the PC has to support them even though the socket accepts the processor. Yes, the computer might work but not to its ideal condition. The top three ways to fasten the computer is to have the max capicity RAM for computer, Leave free space in HDD/SSD and keep the virtual memory to automatic paging or to max.

If i were you, I would goahead and but a new computer as I consider 20% depreciation per year on a electornic device and if i consider 10 years then the computer has ran pretty good for my calculation. Again, this is my point of view.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I am afraid you cant. You can find compatible parts here:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
HP Recommended

Dear Karthik,

Thank you for your prompt reply, but I only found the construction of my laptop on ur advised web-site and not any help works.  Please advise why I can't replace a faster & newer CPU for example core duo T2700 or so?   My laptop is run very, very low day by day!

b/rgds.

Valent

HP Recommended

For a simple fact that though you replace your processor, the motherboard and other components are not campatible. Moreover am sure the new procssor will not fit the current motherboard. Also a differnt motherboard will not fit the notebook cabinet.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

HP Recommended

Dear Karthik,

Thank you again.  I checked the processor core duo T2700 used socket PPGA478 was fitted.  What do you think it is usable.

tks & b/rgds.

Valent

HP Recommended

Dear Karthik,

Beside, can you help to suggest a method of making the Pavilion DV6401ca faster?

tks.

Valent

HP Recommended

Dear Karthik,

I checked my Pavilion dv6401ca chipset is 945GM, so why I can't replace the same chipset processor core2 duo T7600? They also use the same socket PPGA478!

Can I go to buy this T7600 for upgrading?    I need you HP corporation have a definite answer to consumer of equivalent treatment like me.   Or, any one in HP technical staffs can help?

Pitiful that I had suffered from snail slow operation with this laptop & Windows Vista over TEN years!!!  Pls have a help!

(P.S. I had tried to upgrade to Windows 7, but same snail slow)

Thank you very much.

Valent

HP Recommended

Dear Karthik,

Your comment was incorrect. I have successfully replace my Pavilino dv6401ca cpu from original Celeron M520 to core 2 duo T7200 and was working faster and fully compatible.

For your information.

B/rgds.

Valent

HP Recommended

As you have mentioned, the PC is 10 years old and the technology back then was slower compared to today's technology.

The DV series back then were art of technology units for that time period and was a fast PC.

When a motherboard or PC is designed, all the components like curcuit layout, fan, RAm, PCI cards, comonent holding components, display and thousands of more factors are taken into consideration. Each of these are set to ideal conditions and designed. Now for example, if you use a different processor the other components in the PC has to support them even though the socket accepts the processor. Yes, the computer might work but not to its ideal condition. The top three ways to fasten the computer is to have the max capicity RAM for computer, Leave free space in HDD/SSD and keep the virtual memory to automatic paging or to max.

If i were you, I would goahead and but a new computer as I consider 20% depreciation per year on a electornic device and if i consider 10 years then the computer has ran pretty good for my calculation. Again, this is my point of view.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.