Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the same model dv5 1002nr the light blinks once (caps/scroll) supposedly is the cpu so I change it for a new one, but I still have the same results... Black screen

HP Recommended

I replaced the CPU since it was only 18$ on ebay. Get same flashing lights. motherboard is most likely gone. most of them are. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold you a junk mobo.

HP Recommended
I found this answer through another forum and after following the suggested method, my laptop is up and running again.

Take out the battery, plug in the AC adapter, and keep your laptop on for about an hour. Then restart it by pressing the power button and it should start working again. The poster on the other forum said the problem could be that the CMOS battery isn't getting enough charge, which causes the motherboard not to boot properly. With the notebook battery removed, this gives the CMOS a chance to charge. Hope this helps.
HP Recommended

Next time, please list the lights that were blinking....if these lights were thee capslock and thee scroll/numlock. it was just a simple fix the locked your intire keyboard and pc when you crash your pc to then reboot the same 2 lights blink. you may have hit a certain key combination that has something to do with  the "END" button when u reboot try holding down the ESC button and hitting the End button should unlock if it the case that has happened to me, my pavilion dv5note was puchased new, i was worried it may be malware on it that causes the major registry errors. as many other possible issues.

HP Recommended

reboot your pc then hold down esc button repeatedly push the end button or the scrolllock button this should unlock the cpu unless its perminatly damaged. try not"during certian usage to hit or hold down thee cntrl,function,windowsbutton or thee alt key and hit End button at the same time this also happened to me as well Hp pavilion dv5 notebook 2100. dont know why but i am currently using the laptop on which this same issue accured.

HP Recommended

Ok guys listen! this same problem accured with my pavilion dv5 im on it and using it currently. try not in certian types of usage do not hit/hold down the cntrl,functionkey"if notebook" thee windowsbutton or alt key and hit or hold down the END button in some wierd unexplainable reason, the same thing happened to me.

REBOOT YOUR PC, HOLD DOWN THE ESC BUTTON AND EITHER REPEATEDLY PUSH THE END BUTTON OR THEE SCROLL/NUMLOCK BUTTON. WHEN U GET THE CORRECT BUTTON COMBO YOUR SCREEN WILL PROMPT YOU THAT YOU HAVE A CDOS ERROR AND A TYPE OF MEMORY DUMP. THEN REBOOT PROCESS WILL CONTINUE SHORTLY. this may and can also accure when u play game that are way to large for pc and when it freezes you hiy alot of buttons trying to figure out why it crashed. but it also happened to me and 5 mins i figured it out. and typing this on the same pc dont give up, its a trial n error type thing guys. and i work my little pc to death. 2009 model still going strong.

HP Recommended

the problem is, not in design but in the function button on the notebooks because they have no numeric keys, they have a fuction button that allows multiple button fuctions while holding it down. in cretain uses this can accidently make a cretian button combo that will lock (for some unknown reason) the cpu or display adapter. thus causing the blinking lights AKA caps-lock and scroll lock. this accured for me three days ago, yet im on that very same laptop now. reboot as soon a you turn on power, hold down esc and repeatedly press either the scroll lock/numlock or thee End button when u get the right combo it will continue to prompt CDOS error the continue to reboot as normal. the unknown button combo is what i really need to know, but when it accured i was either hitting holdind thee cntrl, function,windowsbutton or alt and hit END while using the arrow keys thats when my screen went black and the capslock ans scroll/num lock started to blink in a wierd pattern. it with these buttons is where the problem is not in a failed design, i work my laptop to death with heavy gaming its a 2009 model and still running strong. and the also accured with my dell desktop before also. but keep trying the button and even with delete button one of the combos will unlock your cpu or display adapter that someone accidently caused them self.

HP Recommended

I own a dv5-1002us, and having the same problems and I have been disassembling it many times and is tedious and frustrating.  I noticed it has to do with the CPU(processor) more than with the integrated graphics card.  The objective of disassembling is to remove the CPU and insert it again to make proper contact.  It happens that the CPU is located beside the RAM compartment, so giving a gentle knock good enough to 'shake' the CPU will make it boot again!  So you dont have to diassemble every time it fails.  This trick has not failed me, you all can give it a try and post here if it worked for you.  (turn your laptop upside down on a table, find the ram CONPARTMENT AND JUST BESIDE IT ON THE LEFT, THAT IS WHERE YOU KNOCK) hope it works for you.

HP Recommended
Noooooo all of you are wrong the motherboard is fried you are wasting your time. Everyone else here has different issues take them to a different forum thread.
HP Recommended

different models, different approach but when it does start it works well until you turn it off couple times.  So, if the motherboard is fried it wouldn't even start again after many attempts.  It is a factory defect on overheating and hardware malfunction as a result of excessive heat.

Many suggestions whereby the CPU is being removed and insert it back is the main concept and all of them have them right even knocking where the CPU is located is another practical suggestion avoiding the task of disassembling every time it fails.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.