Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 20 (5,091 Views)
Accepted Solution

dv6 battery status unknown (93)

Hello. I own a dv6-3165sf laptop and something has just happened to the battery. Last week it worked 100% fine, lasting as long as it should be and HP Battery Check report was also clear. Than i had the battery removed from the laptop for like 5 days and today i realized 2 things:

1, the battery was drained much faster

2, Batter check reports unknown status (93)

Any suggestions? I have already tried removing/reconnecting AC power/battery and reinstalled Battery check/Support Assistant. Nothing worked.

Accepted Solution

Re: dv6 battery status unknown (93)

mikhayl wrote:

UPDATE:

1, The battery doesn't drain any faster. My mistake.

2, It stays at 100% for a few minutes and then drops straight to 95%. (At this moment, it has continuously drained to 65% without any drops).

I have had the laptop for only 2 weeks, but it was placed in a showroom of the shop where i bought it for a few months. (I suppose they take out batteries while in showroom). Either way, the last time Battery Check was working, it reported 22 charges.

No, I haven't run a calibration yet. Considering those 22 charges, should I calibrate now?

I am running Windows 7 HP 64bit.

The F.13A BIOS you are suggesting is older (i suppose) than the F23 I am currently using. Although, I found an unofficial(?) F27 BIOS at www.notebookreview.com/forum . Could that help? Is it recommended?

What steps should I take now?

If the installed BIOS is F.23A then do not update it.

I do recommend running a calibration.

Is you notebook still within the warranty period?

Best regards,

erico

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 20 (5,049 Views)

[ Edited ]

What is the length of time you have been using the battery?
Did you ever run a calibration?
Which OS is installed in your laptop? The specs show Windows 7 Premium 64-bit

I recommend updating the BIOS. There are three updates available. The second update (F.13A) specifically addressed a battery charging issue. The hyperlink goes directly to the update for use within Windows 7 64-bit within the support portal for your notebook.

Best regards,
erico

If you would really like to say thanks,you dont have to say it, just click on the thumbs up icon.

If I have helped you to resolve your issue or answered your question, please click the Options link in the post that helped you and then click on the "Mark as Accepted Solution " button
Tutor
Message 3 of 20 (5,045 Views)

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:

2, It stays at 100% for a few minutes and then drops straight to 95%. (At this moment, it has continuously drained to 65% without any drops).

I have had the laptop for only 2 weeks, but it was placed in a showroom of the shop where i bought it for a few months. (I suppose they take out batteries while in showroom). Either way, the last time Battery Check was working, it reported 22 charges.

No, I haven't run a calibration yet. Considering those 22 charges, should I calibrate now?

The F.13A BIOS you are suggesting is older (i suppose) than the F23 I am currently using. Although, I found an unofficial(?) F27 BIOS at www.notebookreview.com/forum . Could that help? Is it recommended?

Provost
Message 4 of 20 (5,039 Views)

mikhayl wrote:

UPDATE:

If the installed BIOS is F.23A then do not update it.

I do recommend running a calibration.

Is you notebook still within the warranty period?

Best regards,

erico

If you would really like to say thanks,you dont have to say it, just click on the thumbs up icon.

If I have helped you to resolve your issue or answered your question, please click the Options link in the post that helped you and then click on the "Mark as Accepted Solution " button
Tutor
Message 5 of 20 (5,038 Views)

I will try the calibration and will let you know. And yes, it is still within the warranty period. Do you think this might be a non-battery problem? (A motherboard perhaps?)

Thanks

Provost
Message 6 of 20 (5,036 Views)

No. I would suspect the battery and replace it if the calibration doesn't help. The battery is a warranty replacement item.

Best regards,
eric

Tutor
Message 7 of 20 (5,035 Views)

But then the battery would be faulty from the very begining, wouldn't it?

Provost
Message 8 of 20 (5,034 Views)

[ Edited ]

That is possible, but It can't hurt to try the calibration.
It is likely that the HP Service Center representative will request that you do that as well for a warranty replacement condition.

Best regards,
erico

Tutor
Message 9 of 20 (5,018 Views)

Hi.

It seems that the calibration worked. Battery Check now shows proper status (Battery OK, 99% capacity).

So as long as it works, I thank you for your assistance Smiley Happy

Tutor
Message 10 of 20 (5,013 Views)

One more thing: Considering the temperature range my dv6 operates within while gaming (CPU reaching up to 85 degrees °C), should I remove the battery when playing games?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation