Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
My HP 2000 Notebook PC was working fine. i closed the laptop and then a few hours later I tried to turn it back on. It wont start, the power button stays lit and doesnt blink. my wireless internet button stays orange, and my screen jumps back and forth from a lit black screen, to a completely off black screen.... I cant do anhthing but press ESC key to bring up a list of options f1,f2,f9,f10 and f11, if I hit ENTER start up doesnt continue my screen just keeps turning off and on but stays black. what do I do to fix this?
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Try a hard reset. Remove battery and AC power. Hold down the power button 30 seconds, wait 30 seconds now plug it back in and see if it starts. Sometimes a failed sleep or hibernate state will cause this and a hard reset is the only way out of trouble. If the hard reset does not work post back and we will try something else but the sledding gets real difficult at that point. Likely hardware issue.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue with same machine loaded with W7 Home Premium, and belongs to the father of a close friend of mine.  When I pressed the power button, the HP splash screen with set up options appeared for a few seconds, then screen went black and would continue to cycle on and off like this indefinately. It would let me in to do all of the diagnostics, and all passed. It would NOT allow me into the F11 recovery section though. I finally grabbed my OEM W7 Pro disk from my desktop and inserted into the drive and did all the steps to install. I got the prompt that my Pro disk was 32 bit and incompatible with the pre-installed 64 bit Home Premium, but it did allow me to rewrite the boot sector, which is why it kept cycling on and off. I did have to enter the bios and reset to boot from a disk. I'm guessing that is what was missing. It now starts normally and boots directly into Windows.

I took out AVG, installed M$ Security Essentials, installed MalwareBytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster,and the Comodo Firewall... (in that order) all free and available from Download.com. Starting with M$ Sec. Ess. I ran the quick scan and it found a treasure chest full of viruses and bugs, and removed them. Continuing with all the rest of those programs (once again, in that order) I ran all of those scans and removed an incredible amount of junk that AVG let in. Additionally, the performance increased significantly.

Now, all is well, and I'm waiting for the maximum memory upgrad from Crucial to "ice the cake".

I hope this procedure helps anyone else with the same problem, if not, good luck with your machine.

Dean

HP Recommended
I pushed f11 and my screen went black what do I do
HP Recommended
I also have a mini laptop wen I went to f11 to go to factory settings it never came back on, screen stayed black
HP Recommended
My hp 2000 window 8 not start up
HP Recommended

Hi;

I am running into a simmilar issue where except that I when i press the power on button, both the power on LED and WIFI LED blink once and that is it. nothing on screen.  I've tried the hard reset,  but to no avail. I know it is charging because when i connect the charger the led turns amber. Tried the battery on another laptop and it works.  Any Suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi shebdj,

I too am facing the same problem with an HP 2000 laptop. Like you described, when I press the power button the startup screen appears and all of a sudden it goes off. The power button and wifi button lights turn on again but the screen remains blank and the process continues indefinitely. However, in my case if the laptop does boot and works for a certain amount of time if I give it a break. The duration for which the laptop works is directly proportional to the duration of time of the break. Which is why I thought it to be a virus problem and did not touch the laptop for an entire day which would give me enough time for the next time I power it up and format my C: dirve. And I did manage to format it. But alas the problem still continues. So, as far as I am concerned it might be a hardware problem or something to do with BIOS. If you could provide me a step by step procedure how to solve this, it would be very helpful.

abhilash_b

HP Recommended

Hello abhilash_b,

As the computer doesn't start you could try the steps in this document: Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP).

With the format not correcting it, the issue is most likely hardware. For this I would suggest to call support.

HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Good morning,
I am using an HP 2000, I night slept off leaving my laptop which was working fine. When I woke up the next morning, I powered my computer but there was no response (but the battery was not dead), there was no indication of life at all even when I plug in the charger -
I confirmed the following:
*No indicator light came up (wheather on the keyboard or by the power port)
*No screen display
*No beeping sound
*I try my HDD on another laptop, it can was working fine
*Use another RAM on change, use mine on another, it was fine
* Battery has charge
* Charger is good
Pls I needed tips on what to do
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.