Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 F4T58EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

This has been happening for a while now. Every ten minutes or so, the thing which pops up when you press Fn+Esc will open randomly and minimize anything I'm doing. I close it, but ten or so minutes later it comes back. Restarting temporarily fixes it. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@PieIsTasty,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums.  What you may want to check is any malware, viruses and spyware.

When you have operations popping up for no reason nine times out of ten means you are infected.  This would not be a hardware issue.

Here are some links that may help you out.

HP PCs - Resolving and Preventing Viruses on Your Computer (Windows 😎

About Spyware, Adware, and Browser Hijacking Software

HP PCs - Using Windows Defender to Prevent Virus and Spyware Problems in Windows 8

And here is a link to a free Malware removal software.

Malwarebytes.org

Please let me know how things go.  

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Ran a scan with MalwareBytes but no threats were detected.

HP Recommended

@PieIsTasty,

Hello again.  If you found no threats with Malwarebytes.  Run a good anti virus program.  If at that point you are still not finding any problems, back up all your data to an external drive or other back up system.

You will want to try a full system recovery back to original configuration.  This will wipe the hard drive clean and put everything back to the way it was when you first got it.

This will take care of most issues unless you have a boot sector virus but a good anti virus software should find that.

HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 😎

I hope this helps you out.

Thanks again and have a great day

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

I did an test with MalwareBytes, and did a system recovery, but I still have this problem. Do you recommend a good, free anti-virus ? I'll try to recover my laptop and don't install anything, only the thing I really need this weekend.

Thanks, 

Kuwayki - Brandon

HP Recommended

Hi ,i Just saw your issue that was posted here and with respect i would say that this has nothing to do with malware and you just need to deactivate system information. no malwares no viresus.

HP Recommended

I'm havign this same issue and not related to any virus or maleware, system is checked regularly.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.